- PART 31 - p a r t _ o n e

THEO

~

CEDRIC'S HAND WAS CLUTCHING mine with an iron-clad grip, stinging slightly. I did nothing to pull away, fiercely holding him with the same force. We were about to enter the maze— things were about to change forever. I could practically feel the weight of the gold in my hands, see the grin Cedric would wear proudly as we face the crowd, hear them all cheering for us. Like a blanket, I was drenched in a feeling that everything would turn out all right. Cedric and I would win— we'd make it.

It seemed like Cedric couldn't feel that same warmth. For once, I was the one who had to be positive. "Ced, it's going to be fine— "

"Dosie," Was all he said— voice practically a plead. I realized suddenly that this was killing him—  the warm glow vanished. 

My free hand reached towards his shirt, tapping the badge hanging on his shoulder. The green and silver Prefect badge glimmered under the night sky, a reminder of our talk during the feast.

__

"I like your hair."

Turning, my face split into a smile as I saw Cedric standing behind me. I had been alone at the end of the table, poking at my food in boredom. Adrian and Cassius had skipped the feast to study for our OWLS, while Kia was with Ivy at the other end of the table. Every once in a while, some First Year would try and wish me luck, but I was utterly alone otherwise.

"Do you want to join us?" He questioned, gesturing to where his parents were sitting at Hufflepuff.

I fought a smile, glancing at the Ravenclaw table. Dean was emersed in some book, looking perfectly content and absolutely alone. "Yeah . . . can I bring someone else, too?"

Giving me a look of confusion, the golden-haired boy nodded nonetheless, following my gaze. I stood, pulling Cedric towards the table of blue. Tapping on Dean's shoulder, I hesitantly smiled at him.

"Ced, I'd like you to meet my brother," I rested my hand on the Fourth Year's shoulder. "This is Dean."

_

After some awkward small talk, Cedric and I were called away with the other Champions. Hesitating, I ruffled Dean's hair and grinned at the Diggory's. I watched Cedric pause at Ravenclaw and kiss Cho quickly, cheeks blushing red as we walked away.

As we grew closer to the Quidditch Pitch-turned-maze, Cedric's face dropped more and more. Pausing, I forced Cedric to stop with me, reaching into my jacket. "Do you have your badge?"

Raising an eyebrow, he nodded, fumbling with his coat. Flashing my silver-and-green badge, I fastened it on the arm of his shirt. Catching my idea, he pinned his above my heart, offering a small smile.

"There," I said, beaming. "Now, you're stuck with me, Diggory."

__

"You know . . . " He cupped my cheek with one hand. "I really love you, Dosie."

"I— I . . . " I swallowed, breathing deep. "I love you, too."

Bagman's amplified voice interrupted our conversation, making me realize how close we were to finishing this. In an hour's time, Cedric and me would be standing on some pedestal as people cheered for us.

"In first place— Miss Theodosia Black and Mr. Harry Potter are tied with eighty-five points each!" He boomed, laughing as he spoke. "In second place, with eighty points— Mr. Cedric Diggory and Mr. Viktor Krum!" I looked around, confused. "And in third place, both Beauxbatons delegates and Mr. Pietro Romanov!"

Leaning towards Cedric, I raised an eyebrow. "Why are we being scored individually?"

"I'm— I'm not sure." He finally said, seemingly shocked.

"So, Harry and Theodosia . . . on my mark."

Someone jumped up, taking my jacket from me as I shrugged it off. I sent the Ministry Official a wary look, forcing myself forward towards the starting line.

"See you on the other side, Diggy." I forced a smile, glancing at him one last time.

The whistle blew sharply and I bolted, Harry on my tail. Shouting Lumos, I used my wand as a guide as we journeyed into the maze. Fifty yards in, we hit a fork. I glanced at Harry, sending him a look of what I hoped was confidence.

"Be careful," I muttered, ducking right.

The whistle blew again and I fought the urge to go look for Cedric, forcing myself further into the maze. Feeling trapped and lost, I rested my wand on my palm, whispering to it. "Point me."

Making a sharp turn, I almost crashed into a—

"Mom?"

The tall woman looked ghastly in the shadows of the maze, her glare stern and withering. It had been nearly a year since I last saw my mother, but she was as terrifying as when I was nine. I nearly stopped breathing, scared beyond belief.

"Who do you think you are?" She hissed, sharp nails reaching towards me. "Walking around like this— you are a disgrace, a mistake!"

"No— no!" I backed away, hitting the shrubbery and letting twigs dig into my back. "You can't be here!"

"Riddikulus!" 

A loud crack and suddenly my mother exploded into a wisp of smoke. Harry stood in it's wake, wand out. I nodded in thanks, speechless.

Moving on, I nearly hit an oversized Blast-Ended Skrewt, backing up quickly and turning a different corner. I could have sworn I felt the aura surrounding a Dementor, but once more I retreated. It made me feel like a coward, but I couldn't help it. The silence was deafening and my breath caught in my throat.

Stop. You're fine. It's fine.

Pushing onwards, I tried to steady myself, clutching the gold pin over my heart.

A piercing scream sent me to the ground, my wand rolling from my hands. The distinctly woman-like scream vibrated through my body and I could have sworn it was my mother.

Cold hands crept up my shoulders, grazing my neck before reaching for my hair. With trouble, I forced my eyes open, finding a gnarled face inches from mine. Letting out a shriek of my own, I shoved the deathly thing away, tripping over myself in an attempt to get back. The earth-shattering screech continued, the monster's mouth open wide, flashing rows of what seemed like blood-stained teeth.

Spotting the magical stick a few feet behind the thing, I lunged. My knees skid against the grass painfully, but it was nothing compared to the sharp scratch the beast trailed down my back as my hand grasped my wand. Crying out, I forced myself onto my injured back, pointing my wand at the thing I recognized as a banshee.

"Silencio!" I shouted with all my might, head throbbing.

Silence.

I breathed deeply as I was met with the quiet, letting myself lay down for only a minute before forcing my eyes open. The thing— a banshee, I realized —was clawing at it's throat, mouth open in a silent scream.

I stood slowly, watching it retreat into the maze. Letting out a sigh of relief, I continued through the maze, wary of everything.

I used the compass charm a few more times, keeping quiet and quick. I barely believed it when I saw the hint of gold out of the corner of my eye.

"Crucio!"

I ducked to the ground, barely missing—

"Krum?"