- PART 12 -

THEO

THEO

~

I FELT LIKE I was getting ready for a funeral. Specifically, my own. I decided against showering, just changing into the uniform-like outfit I had been given for the task. A black and green shirt clung to me like a second skin, the same as the pants, my sweat making it itch. I was wearing sneakers for once instead of my usual boots, and I felt shorter than ever. Over the slightly-uncomfortable shirt, I zipped my leather jacket all the way. It was cold out and I wanted to cling to what warmth was available.

The stands were surely packed to the brim when I arrived. I could hear the cheers and hollering from inside the Champion's Tent, where Cedric and I sat in silence. For once, the talkative boy was quiet, and I seemed to be out of sarcastic comments. Across the room, the other delegates sat in similar positions, all of us quiet. It seemed so crazy that just last night I was having a freaking sleepover (against my will, of course) with all of them.

Suddenly, my lack of preparation felt incredibly dumb. We didn't even know what the Task was, not yet. All I had was my wand and Cedric. For weeks, I had just been getting drunk and fighting with myself, when I could've been planning. I felt like an idiot. No, worse. I felt like a Gryffindor. 

The last to arrive finally showed just minutes before the Task began. With bedhead and discomfort, Harry walked towards the group of us Champions. His oblivious self actually noticed something for once; the glares given to him by five of the six Champions, myself included. Cedric just offered an awkward half-smile, but nothing more.

Harry looked to me, receiving nothing but a scowl.

It wasn't until the night before that I had seen the Daily Prophet article about us. In it, nearly everyone but Harry was left out. Normally, I wouldn't mind being left out of the lime light, but this time, although I wasn't described, some alternate version of myself was.

THE BOY WHO LIVED NOW FACES A NEW TASK. TOGETHER WITH HIS COUSIN, THEODOSIA J. BLACK (DAUGHTER OF THE FAMOUS AUROR SIRIUS BLACK). THE DUO REPRESENTS HOGWARTS IN THE TRIWIZARD TOURNAMENT. POTTER CLEARLY TAKES AFTER HIS PARENTS, THE FAMED LILY AND JAMES POTTER, WHILE BLACK SEEMS TO BE THE SPITTING IMAGE OF HER FATHER. POTTER DEFEATED YOU-KNOW-WHO AT . . . 

It only got worse from there. Skeeter went on to describe Harry and his epic life, as though there weren't already a million stories just like it. This one painted me as some damsel needing her cousin to save her, when in reality it was probably the opposite. Seeing it made me sick.

I looked away from Potter, towards the nervous Cedric. I held out my hand, trying my best to look determined. "You and me, right?"

"You and me, Dosie." He confirmed with a nod, lacing our fingers tightly together.

__

It all flew by in a blur.

As soon as we stepped out, the dragon whipped towards us, looking at us like we were it's next meal. My friend and I were as ready as we could be, our wands out and brains racing for a plan. Looking towards me, Cedric let out a shaky breath, having to shout over the crowd.

"I'll distract it!" He called idiotically, "You get the egg!"

Before I could stop him, the copper-haired boy was running in front of the dragon. Cursing, I had no choice but to run along the edge of the arena behind it. Flames shout from the beast's mouth as steamed poured from it's nose. I would be thankful it faced away from me, but it had it's gaze locked onto Cedric. I had to work quick.

Nearly tripping over myself, I half-dove onto the nest, minding the eggs. Heaving up the golden egg, I rolled off the nest, glancing back at Cedric. Just as my eyes found his, a jet of fire licked his arm. I gasped, resisting a shout.

As Cedric fell, the dragon turned towards me.

After that, it got crazy.

I don't recall what I cast in the heat of that moment, but somehow my adrenaline-filled brain managed to block the flames. My hands felt hot and I felt the heat press against me, just missing me. With a yelp of victory, I ran. Sliding under it's legs like the baseball players I used to mimic as a kid, I met up with Cedric, who was back on his feet.

I tried my best to ignore the nasty looking burn on his arm, the egg still in my arms. An unintelligible yell left my mouth and the two of us began running for safety. The next thing I knew, I was in a medic tent, ignoring the many healers trying to 'help' me.

My pants were ripped down one shin, a bloody mess of scratches appearing. I was used to injuries like them after years pretending I was a MLB player. I just wanted to know where my jacket was, when I would get food, and if Cedric was horribly injured. Though, his creative cursing from behind the partition were reassuring.

Still, the group of Healers insisted on 'helping' me. It wasn't until Cedric finally shouted at me through the curtain that I gave in, somewhat begrudgingly. They cut off my pants from the knee down, the blood-soaked material going straight into the trash. I was flat-out trapped as they disinfected and bandaged and mended all of my shallow injuries, laying back on the cot with an arm was thrown over my eyes. Right now, the other Champions were competing, cheers and shouts from the crowd giving me a headache. I tried to block everything out, failing miserably.

Especially when he barged in.

__

A/N: I got a new cover- which is awesome -that was made for me by SofieButterfly in record time. I'm on my laptop right now, but I'll probably include the cover picture later tonight or something.