intervention

"Y/n, you need to lose some weight," the doctor was looking directly at you, his face neutral. You came to get your yearly physical only to be lectured about things you already knew. He was looking over your chart, noting the things that he wasn't happy about.

"I know you're busy in school, but you need to make time to improve your weight. You should also look into finding something that helps you relax, I know your anxiety can get pretty bad." He looks up from the chart and you give him a wince. "I know that this is annoying to hear but your health is important for a girl your age, and especially when you start wanting to have kids."

Pshhhhh kids. You're single, in your early twenties, and live with your girlfriends. Kids are NOT on your mind. 

...

You live in a house with a couple of your best friends from college. You are a senior nursing student at UCLA and have given up working on your personal health to focus on helping others. Ever since you were a little girl you've wanted to be a nurse and are so close to being there. There are four of you living in a small quaint house in the suburbs of LA: Sara owns her own ice cream shop in downtown LA, Sophia works in social work at a school down the road, and Shannon works in fashion design. The four of you are all peas-in-a-pod and tell each other everything. You met them all freshmen year at UCLA in an english class and have been inseparable ever since, even after splitting into different degree courses. They are each in committed relationships and you're sure will get engaged soon, but because nursing school takes up majority of your time you aren't exactly present in the dating realm. Apps like Bumble, Tinder, and Hinge haven't yielded anyone worth your while, mostly just hook-ups. Because you put your all into school, your roommates have become worried about your mental health, physical health and social life.

...

After a long day at class you walk into the house, locking the door behind you. As you walk through the foyer you enter the living room; a long L-shaped couch fits in the corner of the room in front of you and directly across from it is the TV, a small kitchen table is across the walkway to the kitchen which is on your left. All 3 of the girls are sitting on the couch, TV off and in complete silence scrolling through social media. You set your bag on the side table and slide to your knees, eventually laying face down on the carpet.

"What a day," you say into the carpet.

"Can't understand you when you talk to the floor," Sophia says frankly.

"What crawled up your butt and died," you respond, turning your head and placing your cheek against the carpet facing the girls. 

"Actually, we were waiting for you to come home," Sara starts, placing her phone down and crossing her arms.

"Yeah, y/n. Were worried about you." Shannon adds, looking at you with concern.

You were confused as to why they were all here, waiting for you.

"About what," you genuinely didn't know.

"We all," Sophia motioned toward the other two, "think you should look into taking care of yourself more."

"Like self-care days? I do a face mask every blue moon..." you trail off, realizing that's not what they meant. "You guys know how stressful nursing school is. It is my favorite thing in the world, but it exhausts me." you lay back on the floor, looking up at the ceiling. "I don't know how i'll fit anything else into my schedule. I already volunteer weekly and run some clubs on campus."

"We couldn't try and understand how hard it is because we aren't you, but we know that you need a stress outlet and should try to be active at least," Sara explains.

"Yeah, on your days off you should go to the gym maybe," Shannon offers. "You have weekends off so you have time to."

"Guys you know my history with my weight. I am so dissatisfied with how my body looks but have a hard time going to the gym because of the people there. They're all skinny and hot, and i'm just..... just y/n." you shrug.

"Everyone has a bit of body dysmorphia, and you're beautiful regardless of how much you weigh. This isn't about you being obese, but adding exercise will help you mentally and physically. We love you how you are, we just want you to be happy and healthy." Sophia assured you.

You wouldn't consider yourself to be overweight, you're what the internet would consider "thick" you guess. You are by no means chiseled or obese but have some pudge here and there. Throughout your life you've struggled with eating right and controlling your binge eating habits. Your parents always made comments like 'you should eat less' or 'why not go to the gym more', all very loaded comments for someone who was a fragile as you. Since the doctors visit, you have decided to try your best and exercise as often as you can, without increasing your anxiety about work. Taking what your roommates and doctor mentioned, you have recently joined a small gym in your childhood city of LA.