Part 29

*Eddie Kaspbrak*

Wait, he wants to marry me?

Once Cece and Phillip start playing, I go over to Richie.

"Was what you said true?" I ask.

"It is, Eds," Richie says in a British accent before kissing me.

I go downstairs to see if Aunt Olivia and Uncle John have arrived yet, thankfully they haven't. I talk to Aunt Pam a little bit before going back upstairs. When I open the door to my room, I see Richie playing with Cece and Phillip.

"Richie put this tutu on!" Cece yells. Richie puts it on and I laugh before I fully walk in.

"How do I look, Baby?" Richie questions.

"You look handsome, Chee," I laugh to myself. I go by Phillip because he's quieter than Cece and never gets much attention.

"What's wrong, Phillip?" I ask.

"Richie is tall and he's scary," Phillip explains.

"He's not scary, I'll bring you over and you can see that he's not scary. Does that sound okay?"

I pinch his cheeks and I pick him up, I explain to Richie what's happening. When I do, Richie squats down to Phillip's size.

"I'm not scary, am I?" Richie asks. Phillips shakes his head 'no.' Richie puts Phillip on his shoulders and I put Cece on mine.

"Kids, dinner is ready! And come and say hi to Aunt Karen and Uncle John!" My Mom yells.

"They can't know we're dating," I explain to Richie. He kisses me before we walk out of my room. Richie gets Phillip and Cece in their seats while I say hi.

"Who's the handsome young man, Edward?" My aunt asks.

"That's Richie, he's my best friend," I lie.

"Richie, come here!" I shout.

Once we get settled and everyone gets their food, we pray over our meal. Soon homophobic comments start to spew out of my relative's mouths. Except for my Mom, Aunt Pam, and Uncle Jim. I can see Richie start to get furious, I take his hand under the table.

"It's okay," I whisper.

"I would kill my family if one of them was a faggot!"

After that comment, I can't control him, he just shoots off his chair.

"Shut up! I know you think that being gay is "wrong" and stuff. Well, newsflash! Eddie and I are fucking gays, for each other! I don't think it's so wrong that I love Eddie and he loves me!" Richie screams. Everyone goes silent.

"Fag," Someone whispers.

"Everyone who said something about my son and his boyfriend, get out!" My Mom roars. Not one of them hesitates or apologizes.
"Eddie, I'm so sorry. I couldn't take it," Richie whispers. I drag Richie out in my front yard, where most of my family is. I kiss him right then and there, I don't care. I have him and that's all that matters. Richie and I go back inside. I hear Richie talking to my Mom while I finish eating dinner.

"I'm so sorry, Sonia. They were talking about Eddie," Richie explains. My Mom forgives him, we continue to eat in peace. When Cece, Phillip, Aunt Pam, and Uncle Jim leave, Richie and I head upstairs.

"Thank you for what you said," I whisper. Richie traces my jawline.

"No need to thank me. No one talks about my boyfriend like that!" Richie yells.

"You were great with Cece and Phillip as well."
"I like kids. Plus, if they're important to you, they're important to me."

Now I know Richie meant it when he said he wanted to marry me.

Part twenty- nine.