Chapter 32

As we came back to the camp we'd lived at for the past two months, we all agreed to help out with the bonfire like we always had been. The football guys, along with Jake and Chris, all started making the fire, while all the girls, along with Cameron and Will, made the food. Well, us girls did the easy things, like putting hamburger bread on a plate, taking out the ketchup and salad from the fridge, while Cameron did all the complicated stuff, like dressing and hamburgers and all of that. Emily started setting up around the fire, making it possible for us to sit there an entire night. She placed out blankets and even brought her guitar.
After we'd all done our last bonfire preparations, we sat down around the bonfire, and just had fun. We ate amazingly good food, laughed and talked memories all night.
"I can't believe it's over." I said from my place in Cameron's arms after we'd all eaten.
"Y/N, if you want another burger, I'm sure Cameron will fix you one." Jake said and smiled. I picked up a blanked and threw it at him.
"I didn't mean food you stupid. I meant the summer." I laughed and looked up at Cameron. He had a blanket wrapped around him. His hair was a mess and I could tell he was tired. He was sitting with one leg on each side of the log we were sitting on. I had my head on his chest, listening to his heartbeat. My legs curled up against my body and my hands in his. Every time we laughed, my head bumped against his chest in the same pace as his heartbeat. Every time I looked up at him, he was already looking down at me. That made me feel safe. Knowing that he always looked out for me.
"Well, I don't know about you guys, but I've had the best summer of my life." Cameron said and smiled towards the fire.
"Cheers to that!" Will said and raised his cup with beer. I know, I know. We're not old enough, but technically we're only like a year too young. Plus, Emily wanted us to celebrate. So she was totally fine with it, as long as it wasn't too much.
"Cheers!" we all agreed and drank.
"Remember when we got to go to that mall? And Jake almost pissed his pants because we made him drink all of that orange juice at the store?" Stella said and laughed hysterically. We all did. Well, except from Jake.
"Yeah, whatever." He said and smiled. Stella was sitting curled up in Jake's lap, almost just as Cam and I. I never thought in a million years, that they'd become a couple. But now that I think of it, they're not such a bad match. And I'm happy for them.
Hour after hour passed by and it was almost time for bed. I realized, this is my new family. I would never ever want to be separated from them. I'd learned so much about these kids. Some things that I'm glad I know, but also things I wish I didn't know. But most of all, I'm glad I know Cameron.
Everyone started to walk up to the cabins. Cameron and I a bit further back. We were probably a little bit tipsy, but the words that came out of our mouths were thought through.
"I'm really glad you decided to wait for me up there today." I said and leaned my head against his shoulder as we tried not to walk like a drunk on pot.
"Babe, I wasn't waiting for you." He said and I was shocked by his answer. "I'm horribly afraid of heights." He spluttered.
"Oh." I said and smiled to myself. I wasn't totally clear in my mind, so my choice of replies wasn't very long.
"But trust me. I'm extremely happy I'm afraid of heights. 'Cause if not, I wouldn't have kissed you today. And you wouldn't have said you loved me. And we'd left this camp without each other..." he said. "And to be honest, I don't think I could've handled that."
How many sweet words could leave that boy's mouth? I was amazed by how good he was at making me love him.
I kissed his cheek, and he surprised me with a kiss on the lips.
"God, I love you." I said and looked at him.
"I'd love me too." He joked and then quickly saved himself by saying, "but unfortunately, I'm already in love with you."