Chapter 23

"Y/N?" I heard his raspy voice on the other end. I stayed quiet. "Y/N, are you there?" he said. I looked out over the ocean. I wanted to hang up but his voice made me stay. "Please answer." He begged. I took a deep breath.

"I have a favorite place." I said quietly. I heard how he was surprised to hear my voice. "It's on the beach, exactly 10 feet away from the water. I've been coming here ever since I was a little girl." I laughed a little when I thought of the young me. "This is where I come when I need answers. Or when I need comfort." I said, hoping he was still listening. "But as I'm sitting here today, I'm not getting answers. And I'm not getting comfort. All I'm getting is horrible memories of that first day at camp..." I said and felt how my stomach turned.

"I'm sorry to hear that..." Cameron whispered in the other end. I paused for a few seconds. Listened to the waves curl.

"But all of these horrible memories makes me think of you." I said and felt how a tear came down my cheek. "And I hate myself for that because I'm supposed to be mad at you and all I'm seeing is you. All I can think of, is you." And that's when I couldn't hold the tears in anymore. Cameron was quiet for a while.

"I know what I did was wrong. And I'm going to spend every second of every day, regretting it. I'm supposed to be there for you. I'm supposed to take care of you and protect you. You shouldn't have to go to your special place to get answers about me. They should all be clear." he said angrily, but to himself, not to me. "Stupid, Cameron, stupid." He mumbled and I heard how he gritted his teeth. After that, I think we stayed quiet for at least 8 minutes. I went through the whole summer in my head during these minutes. Going back and forth between if I loved him or hated him. And I guess my favorite place worked. Because I got some clarity.

"I'm sorry." He said on the other end. "Y/N, I'm really, really sorry."

"I'm sorry too." I said. "I really, really am."

We stayed on the phone for hours. Sometimes we talked. Sometimes we didn't.

"When will you be back?" he asked quietly.

"Monday." I said and smiled to myself.

"I miss you like crazy." He said carefully.

"I really want to say the same Cameron. But for now, my emotions are a trainwreck."

"I understand."

But I don't think he fully did.

The next morning I still wasn't sure if what I felt for Cameron was love or blank. I knew I didn't hate him and I knew I'd forgiven him. I need these days to figure it out, and honestly I don't think I'll have the answers until I'm standing across from him again. Looking into his gorgeous eyes. Feeling his heart beat in his chest. Smelling his perfume. Hearing his voice in person. Not until these pieces had fallen into place, I'd know how I really feel.

The week went by fast. Mom and I spent a lot of time together and not even once did I think about Cameron. We met up with grams and gramps the last night at their summer house. They were thrilled to see me and couldn't wait to hear about my adventures at the camp.

"Any cute boys?" grams said that night. And I think that was the first time I thought about Cameron since our phone call. I smiled and luckily, my mom changed the subject before I had the time to confuse myself.

"So how's the house selling going?" mom quickly said.

"Finding someone who wants a summer place at this time is more difficult than we expected." Gramps said and sighed.

"What?" I asked curious, not knowing what they were talking about.

"We're selling the house, sweetie." Grams said and it got quiet in the dining room. Only forks and knives hitting against the porcelain was heard. Looks were exchanged.

"The summer house?" I asked shocked.

"Yes honey." Mom said and looked at me.