Chapter 21 Home For The Holidays

Start from the beginning

"Not at all." Leyla sighed to an ecstatic face from Kavin and a peeved face from Abigail.

"Besides, we can have a total bonding sesh. Just you and me. Like a slumber party. Proper girly time. And, the other day, Ellen showed me that Twitterer, so you can start me up on that if you like" Betty squealed with excitement.

The idea of Betty on Twitter freaked Abigail out, but Ellen found it funny and giggled, then quickly looked away much to Abigail's further annoyance.

"Come on then, Betty. Bye everyone." Abigail screeched as she glared at Kavin and stormed out.

"See ya, Kavvy love. Bye Ellen. Take care. Nice meeting you Leyla. See you soon guys." Betty babbled as she hobbled after her adopted-daughter.

"Abi still doesn't call Betty 'mum'." Kavin mentioned.

"Well, what do you expect? She's grown up never having to call anyone 'mum' or 'dad' so why start now, especially to someone who isn't her own mum, even if she did adopt her. Her parents abandoned her, Kavin, so she probably hates the word, let alone consider calling Betty that." Ellen explained thoroughly.

"You seem very experienced after your travels, Ellen." Leyla commented, stroking Ellen's head and topping up her coffee.

"Hmmm....Life, eh?" Ellen mused, pondering over Cleo's death and her adventures with Lily and Ching-Ching.

"Is Tadzi with you by any chance?" Leyla questioned Kavin, sipping her coffee and coughing slightly.

"Unfortunately not," Kavin replied with a frown and continued, "His dad...died last month and his mother is very upset, as you can imagine. His siblings are too and he just really needs to be with his family, especially at Christmas. He also needs to help his kingdom, which is currently going into a financial meltdown. But, if you're concerned about Ellen's safety, do not fear. We all look after her and she's been amazing." Kavin quickly informed Leyla, leaving out the bit where Ellen flew GAIL.

"Meanwhile, Ellen has a....boyfriend." Kavin hurriedly murmured.

Now, Leyla's hearing was quite bad, but she still managed to hear that. She spluttered and jumped off the sofa, almost spilling her coffee. "Ellen? Why didn't you tell me?"

Ellen was wide-eyed and she glared at Kavin as she raised her eyebrows remarkably high. She calmly and quietly stated "Mum, he's not my boyfriend. His name is Cornelius Boggs and he just..so....mmm."

"So, he is your boyfriend? No, no. You just, like him?" Leyla begged, desperate for information on her daughter's love life.

"We're not dating. I just think...he's the one."

"Wow, this is getting pretty deep. And you've never even had a boyfriend!" Leyla gasped as she looked over at Kavin.

He was talking to Rosalinda as they sipped her hot chocolates.

"Hey, Kav, do you want to play netball outside?" Ellen asked her friend, staring at the snow outside.

"Erm, well there is 10 inches of snow out there, but I'll just have to put my coat on. Anyway, isn't netball for girls?" Kavin teased as Ellen started a mini-rant about sexism, running outside.

Leyla stared at Rosalinda, who was humming 'Jingle Bells' to herself.

"So, Rosa? Are you planning on going home for Christmas?" Leyla asked excitedly.

"Firstly, it's Rosalinda. Never forget that. Secondly, I don't know what my mum will say." She replied unenthusiastically.

"Why? Don't you and your mum get along?" Leyla asked her, cautiously this time.