Chapter 1

Loving You Is Harder Than You Know.

Chapter 1

Max’s P.O.V
I was peacefully listening to the screams of This War Is Ours when my mum came in the room. Oh no, I thought. What did I do this time? I paused my music and took out my earphones. I waited for her to speak. She looked nervous due to the fact she was looking from one side of the room to the other and back like there was an imaginary game of ping pong being played in front of her and the fact that she was playing with the loose piece of string on her pale pink shirt. What was going on?
“Umm, Max hunny. This isn’t easy for me to say and just so you know, it was never my idea. It was your dad’s when you were about 13.” My mother said.
“First of all, dad has no say in what I do anymore and second of all what is it?” I asked.
“Well, just to let it out, I kind of agreed and I can’t back out of this deal.” She said. I waited a little until I couldn’t take the silence anymore.
“Mum, what is it?” I asked getting annoyed.
“Well, uhh.” She said. I rolled my eyes.
“I guess I’ll just have to go call dad and ask.” I said.
“No wait! I’ll tell you.” She said. She took a deep breath and said, “You’re getting an arranged marriage.”
My eyes widened and my mouth opened.
“What?” I asked.
“You’re get-.”
“I know, I know. But… What?” I asked again.
“Look, you’ll be meeting them tomorrow.” She said. She looked at me once and turned around. As she was about to close the door she said one more thing.
“And you’ll be moving in with them in a week, so be ready and say your goodbyes before it’s too late.” She said and closed the door. I just sat there. Numb, unable to move. Arranged marriage? To someone I’ve never met and I don’t love? How am I going to explain to Nick? I closed my eyes and collapsed back into the bed. I played my music and slowly started to drift off into a peaceful, dreamless sleep.

The Next Morning
I opened my eyes and wiped the sleep from the corners. I yawned and stretched my arms and legs. I slowly got up to sit on the bed but I went a bit too far and fell off and landed on my side on the cold wooden floor.
“Ow.” I mumbled. I pushed my self up and shook my black hair out of my face. The teachers at my school always tell me to get my fringe cut because it covers my deep blue eyes that they secretly love but I don’t care. I like the way I look. And apparently so does Nick. I sighed and leaned back on to the bed. The cold metal making me shiver from the contact on my bare back.
Nick, I thought. How am I going to tell him? He’s going to be heartbroken. I don’t want to see him upset. Heck, I don’t want to leave him. I fucking love him. And if you’re wondering who is Nick. Well, Nick is my boyfriend. And yes, that means I’m gay. But I don’t care. Going out public to show off my sexy boyfriend is worth being teased and bashed. Anything is worth being with Nick. I felt a tear roll down my cheek.

“It’s not fair.” I whispered. I hung my head in my hands as more tears flowed down my cheek.
“IT’S NOT FAIR!” I yelled. I started sobbing and I felt the wetness on my cheeks. I haven’t cried since dad left and that was when I was 13. Apparently when I was supposed to have an arranged marriage. Four years ago, I was already paired with someone. Maybe if they told me sooner I wouldn’t have to go through this heartache for both Nick and I. And worse. I’m most likely being paired with a girl. I almost puked at the thought. Having to kiss, hell marry, a girl. It would be a nightmare. I really hope we can get a divorce.

Bryce’s P.O.V
“Mum, I don’t care.” I yelled at her.
“But sweetie, you need to meet him.” She said.
“Why? Why would I want to meet the man that ruined my life?” I asked. Her gave went hard. She was always a bit scary when she looked like that.
“Who knows if he’s ruining your life? It might be good for you.” She said.
”Good for me? How can that be good for me? A guy I’ve never even met and I have to marry him? How can that be good for me?” I yelled.
“Look. You might really like him and he might like you back. You never know.” She said. I thought about it. Well, he might be hot. He might not be. What if he isn’t gay? What if he has a girlfriend? Or worse. What if he is gay and has a boyfriend? I can’t separate two guys that are in-love. I wouldn’t want what happened to me happen to anyone else.

*Flashback*
It was back in summer when he came around to my house. He sat me down on my bed.
“One last time.” He whispered to himself. He leaned over and gently kissed my lips. I kissed back. Once I did he put more passion into it and wrapped his arms around my waist, as if he let go I would disappear. I wrapped my arms around his neck, gently tugging on his hair. He broke off before we did anything but he kept his lips on mine but barely touching.
“I love you Bryce. But this is goodbye.” He said and got up. I stared up at him. Confused and hurt.
“What?” I asked.
“I’m sorry, but I have to go.” He said and started to turn. I quickly grabbed his wrist and pulled him back.
“Why, why is this goodbye?” I asked.
“I love someone else more than you.” He simply said. My eyes started to water, tears blocking my vision.
“No, no!” I yelled. I gripped his wrist tighter.
“Ow.” He said and pulled back. He glared at me and walked out the room. I heard the front door slam and a rev of an engine. I slunk back into the bed. It felt like he ripped my heart out and kept it as a souvenir. The less I could hear of his car the more the pain in my chest hurt. I hung my head in my hands and could feel wetness. I didn’t even know I had been crying. I took a deep breath and started to scream. My hands in fists. I got up and walked around the back of the house. The hardest wall there was. I made a fist and I punched the wall. It would usually hurt like a fucker but it didn’t compare to the pain in my heart. I kept punching until I saw a bright red liquid on the white wall. I looked at my knuckles. They were covered in blood. Then my mum ran around to see what the screaming was about. And from then on, I never trusted anyone.

*End Of Flashback*
I sighed and closed my eyes.
“I’ll meet him. But, if he is with someone, I’m not doing it.” I said sternly. She sighed.
“I’ll try.” She said. I got up from the couch and started walking to the car. Part of me hopes he isn’t with anyone so then I won’t feel bad if I do end liking him and if I do, I hope he doesn’t brake my heart.

At Max’s House
Mum knocked on the door and I waited impatiently for someone to answer. A few seconds later someone opened the door. It was a woman. She had bright green eyes and light brown hair going to her mid waist.
“Hi, you must be the Fredrickson’s.” The lady said. I know, I know, it’s a weird name.
“Yes.” My mum said.
“Oh, come in.” The other lady, Carol, I think her name was, said. I walked in the door and went to go sit on the couch. It was pretty comfortable, I must say. Mum and Carol were talking and I was getting bored but then I heard someone yell ‘It’s not fair’ from above me. I’m guessing that was him.
“Umm, what’s his name?” I asked. His mum looked shocked for a second. Then she smiled.
“His name is Max, Max James.” She said and started talking to my mum again. I sighed and got out my iPod. I started listening to Me & You by Stereo Skyline. What? They’re a good band. A little while later I heard someone’s heavy foot steps on the stairs. I turned off my iPod and put it away. I looked over and my eyes landed on the cutest boy. He had messy black hair, his fringe covering his deep blue, bloodshot eyes. He had a medusa piercing and was kind of pale. Fuck. Why did he have to be so hot? I hope he doesn’t have a boyfriend.