Chapter 34: Holy Mother of The Moon

Start from the beginning

His eyes started drifting shut and panic seized me up, "Finn? Finnick! Don't close your eyes on me okay?! You... you need to get up and help me. You need to help the pack with your brain."

I shook at him and he smiled lazily at me as if everything was going to be okay.

"I'm dying and you're s-still ordering m-me around?"

"You bet your ass I am." I shook him to get his eyes to stay open.

"Finnick," Cal said from beside me and I could see the concealed pain in his eyes, "if you break her heart,  I will bring you back alive and kill you again."

Laughter turned into coughing as he spat up blood, "Finally got my name right... a-and when I-I'm dying. I'm gonna miss your jealousy C-Cain... but take care of her. She needs you more than she cares to a-admit."

"Finn..." I trailed off as his eyes came back to me, "don't leave."

'I'm sorry Ev. I'm sorry I couldn't do more.' He mind linked with a smile as his body went lax beneath my palms. My fingers moved to hair and curled into the strands of brown soft waxy hair. 'I love you.'

He stopped breathing and my ears rang with a shrill echo of silence as his heart slowed to a stop. 

"Finn?" I called out to him. "Finnick?! Wake up!" I shook him. "Wake up Finn, this isn't funny!" 

Arms encircled me and pulled me back into a warm chest as my eyes stayed frozen on Finn's dead body.

I remained limp in Callum's arm as I felt his staggering warm breath on my neck. I couldn't move and I couldn't pull my eyes away from my best friend.

My friend who I put on the sidelines. 

When someone, I didn't even know who, covered Finn's body up, my eyes went to Ross and Minna across from me who had tears streaming down their faces. 

The noise came back to me slowly as I heard Minna sobbing and soft words beings whispered behind me. 

My throat felt clogged and I couldn't speak. My breathing felt like I had just finished a marathon. The pain of losing a pack member shocked my core. My heart felt like someone jabbed me with a knife. But tears didn't come. 

When you're faced with a bad situation, you can either choose flight or fight. 

As I felt my wolf draw closer to the surface, I pushed away from Callum in order not to hurt him.

I felt his arms try to tighten against me as he said words but I couldn't make sense of them as I jumped away and shifted. 

Facing Callum, he held a panic expression as he tried to get closer to me. 

And I chose the option that I never thought I'd pick in my life. I chose flight over fight.

Running in the direction that Finn came from, I bounded past trees as Callum called back to me.

'Everette! Ev you need to come back, it's not safe.'

Slowing my roll, I stopped and howled in anguish at the pain of loss. A howl from Ross responded and I started back up my pace as thoughts of what was happening flew through my mind. 

Images of Finn dying blurred my vision. 

It didn't feel real. But the pain and unrelenting replay of the moment seared into my head that it was in fact reality.

'Ev, please, stop and come back...' Cal's voice broke into my head. 

I whimpered at his tone and my wolf slowed to a staggering walk as I blocked him and everyone else from contacting me.