chapter one. | I was just all about selflessness.

I woke up to my older brother shaking me, threatening that if I didn't wake up, he'd pour water on me. I mumbled that would be amazing and rolled over, wincing in the process. Tobias' face scrunched up in concern.
"Did it happen again while I was getting groceries?" Worry lacing every word.
I simply nodded and tried to go back to sleep, though that was unsuccessful. I slowly got up.
"Tell me next time. You know I have something for the injuries, El." Tobias said, before leaving me to get ready for school.
I had a mirror hidden in my closet so I could see how bad my injuries were. I slowly took my nightgown off and looked at my back, where huge bruises were starting to get dark.

*FLASHBACK*

I had just finished washing the dishes when my father, Marcus, stumbled into the living room.
"ELLIANNA!" Marcus roared. I could tell he was hammered just by the way he walked in.
I calmly walked into the living room, though I was completely terrified inside.
"Yes father?"
"Where is your brother?"
"He went to get groceries. We were running startlingly low on food."
"Well when will he be back?"
I checked my watch, "Soon."
"Perfect." He smiled his cruel smile and took his belt off. At first, I thought he was going to assault me in a way that would hurt worse than any bruise, any cut.

Marcus walked toward me, belt in hand, evil grin across his face. The first swing of belt I had seen coming. Though the punches and kicks gradually got worse. By the time Marcus was done beating me, I was a bloody and bruised pulp with tears that seemed to never stopped coming. My father was passed out on the couch, so I went to take a shower. A few short minutes after I had gotten dressed, the door to the house was almost slammed shut and I heard footsteps running up the stairs.

Tobias is home.

*PRESENT TIME*

I got dragged back into reality when there was a knocking at my door. 
"El, I have the ointment. I'm sliding it under your door. I won't need it much longer." I heard my brother's voice and winced. He just involuntarily reminded me that he's leaving me tomorrow.
I heard a sliding sound. I stepped into my room and quickly grabbed the tube of gel and went back into my closet. I carefully put the gel on my sides and back. I quickly got dressed in my plain, gray Abnegation clothes and put my hair in a plain, Abnegation bun. I picked my bag up and walked out to meet Tobias in the hall.
"Let's go." I say as quickly as possible. Tobias wanted to walk alone to school today. I understood why, so I walked with Beatrice and Caleb Prior.

We walked silently to school. I desperately wanted to ride the bus, but because I was abnegation and I was just all about selflessness, I didn't. When we got to school, I ran to Tobias and hugged him. I didn't care that affection and running was looked down upon in abnegation, all I cared about was spending as much time with my brother as possible before he left me. We swore to each other that no matter our results, neither of us would choose dauntless or abnegation. He squeezed me as tight as possible and I didn't care about the pain it brought to my sides and back.

"I love you, Ellie. Always remember that. One more year. One more year, then you'll be free." He whispered in my ear. I could feel the stares of others burning into my back, but I didn't care.
"I love you too, Tobi."

We finally pulled away from each other. I saw a tear fall from my older brother's eye and I started crying.
"Don't cry, Tobi. If you cry, then I'll cry and I don't want to cry." He laughed and we hugged one more time before going our separate ways.

___________________________________________________________

I met Tobias a few hours later, outside of the school. We walked home in silence until I couldn't contain my curiosity any longer.
"What were your results?" I blurted, before I could stop them.
"Abnegation." He said calmly.
"What?!" I yelled, but quickly lowered my voice, "What do you mean? How is that possible? I thought you said that it felt like second nature to pick up the cheese. You should've gotten Amity!"
"I don't know, Ellianna. I didn't get Amity. I got Abnegation. I'm choosing Abnegation. I will not leave you here with him."
"No," I automatically say sternly, "you're going to Amity. End of discussion."
"Ellianna, I can't just leave you here."
"It'll only be one year Tobi, I'm studying self-defense. I'll be fine. Just leave. Please."
"Fine.." My brother says, unsure of the decision he just made.

We walk back home silently. Our father isn't there when we get home so we go into our rooms, but not before Tobias gives me three clothing items. A black t-shirt. A pair of gray cargo pants. A black pair of combat boots.
"You'll need them for when you go running at night." He says, as he forces a smile, trying to make the tears in eyes go away.
I smile back at him and go into my room. I hide the clothing items in my closet and go to sleep as it's fairly late.
___________________________________________________________

*ONE YEAR LATER*

It's the day I get to see my brother again. I've been beaten by Marcus many times but it's never something that stays for long. I'm dressed in the clothes Tobias have me the day before he left. With a floor length gray skirt and gray sweater over it so you can't see the clothes underneath, I decide to do something different today. I won't be here for much longer anyways. I walk over to the Prior's house and knock. Natalie answers the door. I know she'll do this for me. She's the only other person besides Marcus and Tobias that know about the beatings.
"Ellianna, dear, how may I help you?"
"I need you to cut my hair please. Not a trim. A little below my shoulders." I show her exactly the length I want it to be cut to.
She smiles, "come in. And be safe today, Ellianna."
I do as she says and I smile back at her.
A little while later, my hair is shorter than what the Abnegation hair should be. I stand up and hug Natalie. She's shocked at first, but then wraps her arms around me and squeezes.
"Thank you. For everything." I whisper so that she's the only one who can hear.
"You're welcome, sweetheart. You're like a second daughter to me. Make the right choice today. And leave. this. faction." She says sternly.
I smile at her with tears in my eyes, "I will. I promise."
She walks with me to the Hub as her children and husband are already there along with my father. He's hosting the Ceremony this year.

When we get there, Natalie hugs me one last time before I go and stand with the other 16-year-olds. I stare blankly into space until I hear my name get called.
"Ellianna Eaton."
I slowly, but confidently walk up to the center of the room. I basically yank the knife out of Marcus' hand and quickly make a small cut in my palm. I knew I had to choose dauntless. Even though I'd be breaking my promise to Tobias, he broke it before me. He chose Dauntless.
"Goodbye Marcus. I hope you rot in hell." I saw loud enough for him and the people close enough to the stage to hear before letting my blood drip into the dauntless bowl. I hear the sizzling of my blood on the hot coals and smile. I almost throw the knife back at Marcus, just hoping it would hit him, before walking over to the dauntless section and sitting down. I sit basically right next to Natalie. She takes my hand and turns her head to me, smiling.
"I'm glad you made the right choice. I love you,Ellianna."
I smile as a tear rolls down my cheek.
"I love you too, Natalie."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey guys! I know this isn't that great, but I thought it'd be a good first chapter. Originally, I was thinking of making this an Eric x Four's sister (aka Ellianna) fanfic, but now I'm starting to think of going with the idea in the description, her falling for a dauntless member. What do you guys think it should be? The next chapter should be up next week. (I'll be making weekly updates, hopefully.)
- Gia