Chapter 21

Afaaf

Afaaf

I was almost dozing off on the sofa in Khan Dada's study when Norie barged in. Making my eyes open up.

" I have some news." The woman chirped, rubbing her hands together. The shiny twinkles in her eyes had me smiling widely.

" What?" I asked.

She sat down on the floor by the sofa. A blush covering her fair complexion as she smiled ear to ear.

" My man, he's coming to take me home." She said in a low voice.

" What!" I jumped on my place, throwing my arms around the woman.

" Thats. That is very good to hear." I held her hand as she nodded.

" How did it happen?"

" Well he came, the other day, begging for forgiveness. And lala said that he'd ask me first if I forgive my man or not. And when I was asked I-" she laughed nervously, hiding her face in her palms. I giggled.

" I'll be going home after so many days." She sighed, a small smile over her lips.

Her words should have brought grimace to my face, but they didn't. I didn't even feel the heavy impact of her words as I smiled yet again rubbing her hands. I was genuinely very happy for her.

" When are you leaving then?" This had my heart tightened in my chest. Sad that I wasn't going to see her around.

" By evening." I nodded.

" I should go, check on my stuff." I nodded encouraging her to go ahead.

Sleep had vanished from my body as I got up, picking the book that had slipped from my hand. A textile book, I was trying to read earlier. Keeping the book on its respected place, I walked out of the study room.

Climbing the stairs, I dragged my feet to our bedroom. The white curtains were wide open, the afternoon sun leaving it's glow. Running my hands over the bedsheets, I straightened out the wrinkles on it.

Opening the glass of the window, I let the cool air breath in. Humming a tune, I made my way to the dark wood cupboards before pulling them open, as I remembered something. Finding what I was looking for, I opened the plastic bag seeing the antique headpiece and earrings I had gotten, the first time I went to shopping in Swat.

My eyes brightened as an idea clicked in my mind. Giggling to myself, I placed the headpiece against my forehead, examining myself before the mirror.

Minutes later, I was all dressed up. A loose pashtun embroidered shirt with matching trousers sported my frame. Blue was contrasted with red, blending well. The long dupatta over my head as my forehead adorned the beautiful jewellery. The earrings dangling in my ears. I jumped excitedly on my place. My dark lipstick had my features standing out. My smile brightening.