Chapter 2

Zaryaab Alam Khan

Zaryaab Alam Khan

Following through the pathway, we reached the main road. But it didn't seem that anyone passed it as it remained vacant. 

" I am very hungry." The voice from besides me said making me look down to her. 

And as if ALLAH had listened to her, a van could be seen coming our way. I stepped closer, waving my hand trying to get the van's attention. It stopped at the side as the man looked at us up and down weirdly.

" Yes?" He asked in a rough voice as he chewed onto so something nastly. 

" Ah, we wanted a lift. Can you please drop us to the nearest city?" I asked seeing the man think for a minute. I turned my head to the woman seeing her pleading eyes.

" Get in." He said making me sigh and slide open the back door. Getting in, I helped the woman to climb in too. The drive was absolute silent and I liked it that way as I thought about a thousand things.

Half an hour passed and as a village ( bigger than the previous one) came into view, I looked confused at the man.

" Here you go." He said stopping his faded blue van.

" I said we wanted to go to the city-" I spoke out.

" Bhayya, this is what we called the city. There is no other city here." 

(Brother)

Upon listening to him we got down. He drove away as we walked in.

" Hey listen-" I said seeing a local food hotel not away from us.

" That is not my name." Snapped a voice quiet angrily making my eyebrows draw closer as I turned to the woman.

" Then what is your name?" I asked a little amused.

" Afaaf."

" Now what kind of name is that." I said sitting on a plastic chair before calling for the waiter.

" What kind of name do you have?" She asked sitting across from me.

" My name is Zaryaab." She shrugged her shoulders.

A little boy came with a cloth on his shoulder. And started speaking fluently in Punjabi making me look at him, absolutely confused.

" What are you saying?" This time Afaaf asked.

A man came as he dismissed the boy. Asking us what we wanted and so we ordered the only thing they served. Chai and paratta.

Cleaning my hands with the napkin, I looked up. My green eyes settling on Afaaf. Under the bright sun, I could see her properly. She stilled resembled Ronaq and if I thought about it, it pained. Large brown eyes, fair creamy skin, a long nose, full lips and full cheeks on her round face. Her once open shoulder length hair, were now covered with her long veil. The rough brown strands shaping around her face. She was beautiful undoubtedly, as heads turned her way with weird men staring at her.