I texted Mom back, saying, Please take your time with the patient. Don't rush. 

       I put my cell phone in my pocket, then headed to the back of the classroom where we each had a cubby to keep our school supplies. Once I put all of mine in my cubby, I left the classroom and headed to the lounge, flopping down on one of the couches. I wanted to just lie in bed, but that was one thing we weren't allowed to do. If we wanted to get better, we couldn't just lie in bed all day.

       I was feeling a bit bored right now, not knowing what I could do to pass the time. Placed all over the lounge room were different things that we could use to either help our sense or give us something to occupy ourselves. Out of all the things here, a Rubik's cube was what caught my attention so I picked it up and started playing with it, even though I've never solved one before.

       Thea walked over and sat down beside me. "Ooh, a Rubik's cube. Have you ever solved one?"

       I shook my head. 

       "I'm actually a master at the Rubik's cube," Thea said. "I've solved one in less than a second."

       "Was it properly mixed up?" I asked. "Or was it just turned once so you can turn it back?"

       Thea was silent for a bit. "You know what? I don't deserve this slander."

       "I wasn't slandering you."

       "That sounded like slander to me. Just for that, I won't ever help you during school."

       "You... You were the one asking for my help..."

       "Again with the slander. I won't stand for this."

       "Well... You are sitting."

       "Oh, wow, you're such a funny guy."

       "Ew, gross," Omar spoke up as he was walking by the lounge room, though he stopped to look at us. "Flirting is gross."

       "W-what?" I asked. "N-no. That's... We're not... N-no."

       Thea glared at Omar. "I'm allowed to talk to him and make sure he feels comfortable here, Omar. We all know what it's like to be here and feel so uncomfortable."

       "Sure, sure," Omar said, walking off to head to the game room.

       Did it really look like Thea and I were flirting? Because it was impossible for me to flirt with her. I was just talking to her because she had been trying her hardest to make me feel comfortable here.

       "I-I wasn't..." I began, trying to tell her just in case she thought I was. "I-I mean we weren't... I wasn't..."

       Thea cut me off. "Dude, I wasn't either. Kind of hard when I'm a lesbian. And when my gaydar is going off for you. It's, like, really strong right now."

       "W-what? It's... That's not... I mean... No?"

       Thea giggled. "You don't have to say anything about it. I was just telling you that I really wasn't flirting with you. I know what it's like to come here for the first time and feel so uncomfortable. I just wanted to make sure you feel comfortable."

       "Th-thanks, then," I said. "Really. It... Is hard being here. But I'll get used to it. I hope..." I looked at the Rubik's cube in my hand, making it want me to change the subject because I really hated talking about how I was feeling. I knew that was going to have to change, but not now. "So have you actually solved the cube before?"