Chapter 3

Chapter 3

       I walked down the stairs of my house that led right to my family's veterinary clinic. Mom and Dad were currently taking care of a dog that came in not too long ago, so I walked over to them, not sure if I should ask them the question in my head.

       I waited for them to notice me, which took a while since they were focused on taking care of the dog. "You know, if you want to talk to us, you're going to have to get our attention instead of just standing there," Mom said when she noticed me.

       "Are you wanting to help down here?" Dad asked.

       "No," I said. "I mean, not now. Maybe later. I just... Is it okay if I take a trip to the craft store? I want to get a new sketchbook."

       "Of course," Mom said. "Just wait a few minutes so one of us can drive you. Or you can ask Ryder to drive you."

       "Actually..." I said slowly, trying to figure out how to ask them. It was just a simple question, one that shouldn't be so hard to ask. But apparently, it was. "I was... I mean... It's just... five minute walk."

       I thought Mom and Dad would have assumed I didn't want anyone to drive me there and that I just wanted someone to walk there with me, only because I was the one who didn't want to be alone. Ever since two summers ago when I was hospitalized, I was sort of afraid to be alone.

       However, they knew exactly what I was asking for.

       And they gave me the answer I wanted.

       "Nolan, if you want t go alone, of course you're allowed to," Dad said.

       "Really?" I asked. 

       "Of course," Dad said. "You're the one that gets to decide if you're ready to be alone or not. If you want to go to the craft store alone, you can go."

       "In fact, we're proud of you for wanting to go alone," Mom said. 

       "Thanks," I said. "I'm going to head there soon. And I promise I won't take long. I'm just getting a sketchbook. But I might get something else if I see anything. Maybe new pencils. Or paint. Or--"

       "Nolan," Mom interrupted. "Take however long you want."

       "But call us if you need anything," Dad said.

        "I will," I said. 

       I went back up the stairs to grab my wallet and a sweater. I put the sweater on and put my wallet in its pocket before walking out the door that led downstairs to the foyer, which then led outside.

       It did get a bit complicated living above my family's vet clinic with all the stairs and doors, but I didn't mind it. Actually, helping to take care of the animals was something I could do to take my mind off of everything for a few minutes.

       As I was walking to the craft store, it did feel a bit weird for me. I didn't even remember the last time I left my house on my own. I was still very reluctant to do a lot of things, but I did make a huge step by going to school. Now I had to try doing some other things, like going out on my own.

       Even though I didn't like being in public places because of my anxiety, I normally felt pretty calm in the craft store. It was never crowded at all, so it was easy getting around to find the stuff I needed.

       I did get a new sketchbook, and I also got some pencil crayons so my sketches weren't only going to be in black and white. Adding some colour to my drawings might not seem like a huge change for me, but it was. All the black and white drawings had dark meanings to them.