Chapter 9

Chapter 9

       When I noticed Jerome was alone at his locker, I took the chance to walk over to him since the hallway wasn't too crowded as well. Jerome and I rarely talked in school, if ever. It wasn't that we didn't want to. We just knew how big of a pain Ryder would be if he saw his little brother talking to his number one enemy.

       I just didn't have the energy to explain to Ryder why I liked being around Jerome.

       And I would probably have to explain my attraction towards Jerome as well, and I was nowhere close to being ready to come out.

       When I got to Jerome's locker, he smiled at me. "Hey. How are you feeling?"

       "A bit better," I said. "Thanks, again, for coming over that day. And... For not asking about my bandages when you saw them."

       "Well, we were just starting to get to know each other," Jerome said. "I told you, it's none of my business and I didn't want you to feel uncomfortable."

       "Still... Thank you."

       "It's no problem," Jerome said. "So is there a reason you came over here? Because, no offence, you don't really like talking to me in school."

       "I'm sorry about that. Really. You know I want to talk to you but--"

       Jerome cut me off. "Nolan, I was joking. I know it's because of Ryder. He already pulled you away from me when you were helping me pick up my stuff, and he got mad at me for talking to you when I was at your house for the project. So...?"

       "Oh, right. So... I want to get back into dancing."

       "Really?"

       "Yeah, really. But the thing is I can't go back to my dance studio because they always compete, and I'm definitely not ready to compete. I just want to dance for the fun of it and I always see you alone in the studio. N-not that I'm following you or anything. I-It's just close to my house so I always walk by it and..." I sighed. "What I'm trying to say... Or ask, really... Will you help me? I shouldn't be doing it on my own just in case I get lightheaded or--"

       "Nolan," Jerome said to cut me off. "I'll help you get back into dancing. Since I'm a teacher there, the owner let's me use the studio whenever I want if it's free. And it's free after school today so if you stop by, I'll help you out."

       I smiled. "You will?"

       "Of course I will."

       I couldn't help but wrap my arms around him in a hug. "Thank you, thank you, thank you."

       Jerome laughed as he hugged me back. "You're welcome. Just meet me at the studio after school. Well, you might have to wait a bit because I have detention."

       "What did you do this time?" I asked as I pulled away from the hug to look at him. 

       "Well, funny story..." Jerome said. "My and Ryder's project presentation was today. Let's just say we're going to have to try it again tomorrow because we may or may not have gotten into a fight."

       "A physical fight or just an argument?"

       "Just an argument. Surprisingly."

       "Someone stopped you two before it could break into a physical fight?"

       "...Maybe." Jerome pulled out his phone to check the time. "Lunch is going to end soon and I better not be late to class if I don't want another detention. Then again, I could always skip detention to meet up with you in the dance studio earlier."