Chapter 20

Chapter 20

       "I'm really sorry I can't make it," Jerome said on the other line of the phone. "I know I promised you I'd go with you every time you wanted to go to the city hall to paint the mural."

       "Don't worry about it," I said as I was getting the paint ready to continue the mural, which was quite difficult to do with one hand while the other was holding onto the phone. "You have to work and that's important."

       "I can pretend I'm sick. Or I can pretend my leg broke. Or I could break my leg for real."

       "Are you a masochist?"

       "I might. We can try all sorts of kinky things during sex to so you could see if I am one."

       Once again, my cheeks began to burn because of what Jerome said. He always knew what to say to fluster me and honestly, I wish he didn't. He took any opportunity to fluster me, no matter where we were.

       He once sent me a text during school while I was in one of my classes that allowed cell phone usage if we were only doing assignments and the teacher wasn't going over with me. I ended up looking at the message and my face turned so red that I had to leave the classroom to get some water.

       "Can you stop saying things like that?" I asked.

       "Things like what?" Jerome asked innocently.

       "You know..." I lowered my voice just in case anyone was eavesdropping, even though there was no one close enough to hear my conversation. "Dirty things."

       Jerome chuckled. "I can't wait to fuck the innocence out of you."

       "S-stop saying stuff like that! I-I don't... T-that's not... It's inappropriate, Jerome. You can't say things like that."

       "I'm eighteen. I could say anything I want, baby. Especially how I want to ta--"

       "I will hang up on you. There are people here in the city hall who will probably be wondering why my face is so red. Alan and Orchid are with me and they're probably wondering too. Stop flustering me."

       "Alright, alright, I'll stop. Well, only when we're on the phone. I definitely will fluster you more in person so I could see your reaction. It's cute."

       "Yes, me blushing profusely is cute."

       "Anything you do is cute."

       Even though that was a very simple compliment, it made me blush even more. Okay, so maybe I did blush easily and that was probably why Jerome had so much fun saying inappropriate things to try to fluster me.

       "As much as I would love to stay and talk to you, I have to get started on this dance class," Jerome said. "But before we hang up, I just want to tell you that your innocence is still so fucking adorable and I can't wait to take you to bed and--"

       "I'm hanging up on you." I pulled the phone away from my ear and hung up, placing it on the floor for now as I continued to prepare the paint. 

       A few moments later, I got a text from Jerome so I picked it up to read it. That was rude but I'll forgive you because you're a cutie ;)

       I smiled softly, putting my phone back into my pocket. Once the paint was ready, I brought i everything I needed to the ladder. I put the respirator on before climbing up the ladder to start painting.

       And of course, Alan decided to walk over once I started painting, despite me telling him to keep a slight distance so the fumes didn't get to him.