Chapter 1

Chapter 1

       I felt like I was ready today. Ready to finally attend high school after the year and a half I had to take online classes. I haven't even stepped foot in the building whenever my siblings had a performance or any other special thing. I just stayed home.

       So finally attending school with three of my siblings was going to be a huge step for me.

       And as soon as Mom pulled her car into the parking lot of the school, I immediately felt like going home and just taking online courses again.

       "Mom, I don't think I can do this," I said. "Maybe I can just go back to taking online classes. Or I can be homeschooled. Or I can just not take any class and help you and Dad in the clinic."

       "Nolan, you can't give up on school yet," Mom said.

       "You said 'yet'," I said. "Does that mean I eventually can?"

       "No, you can't," Mom said. "I know this is a huge change for you, but I know you can do this."

       I didn't reply. I just adjusted the sleeves of my hoodie. I knew I should just take the leap and go to the school, but that didn't stop me from already feeling discouraged about going. 

       There was a sudden knock on the passenger window of the car, making me jump from being startled. I rolled down the window, and my sister leaned down to look in the car. "Took you long enough to get here," Orchid said. "Why didn't you just come with the rest of us?"

       "Because he wanted me to drive him," Mom said. "Please just go easy on your bother. It's a lot for him to be here."

       "I know," Orchid said. "Why do you think I'm here to greet him? I want to show him around the school."

       I looked at Mom. "Do I have to go?"

       "You're the one who said you were ready to attend school," Mom said. "If you really want to go back to online schooling, you can. Starting in September. As for now, I really think you should try this. You can do it."

       I hesitated before opening the car door, then stepped outside. I grabbed my backpack before closing the car door, already feeling my heart beating at an irregular pace.

       "Nolan," Mom said, so I leaned down to look through the car window. "You know I'm proud of you, right? And I love you a whole lot."

       I smiled softly, though it did feel insincere. I didn't know why. I just didn't feel like I could smile sincerely. I haven't been able for a while.

       Well, actually, I knew the reason why.

       "I love you too," I said to Mom before moving away from the car so Mom could pull out of the parking lot.

       As soon as Mom pulled out of the parking lot, I felt a lot more regret from choosing to go to this school. I really should have just stayed doing online school.

       Orchid could see my regret, so she wrapped her arm around me in a side hug. "You're going to do great, Nolan."

       "Sure..." I said quietly.

       "Well, school is going to start soon, so let's get going," Orchid said as she started leading me towards the school. "

       Immediately upon walking into the school, I did feel a bit overwhelmed. Too many people were here, clumped in groups as they walked through the hallway or stayed by their lockers. Even though nobody was really paying any attention to me, I felt like everyone was judging me.