Adam Ruzek: Happier

(GIF not mine)

(GIF not mine)

Your relationship with Adam Ruzek was like many other relationships. It was filled with anger, irritation, petty arguments and it's fair share of sorrowful tears when it finally came time to end it, burying it in the ground before it was able to hurt either of you any further.
To say it ended on bad terms would technically be incorrect. Sure you shouted and yelled plenty of times during your relationship but the day you had ended it things were quiet, calm almost. Adam didn't yell or bang his hands on the kitchen table like he often did during arguments and you didn't run your hands through your hair in exasperation before screaming for him to listen. No this was different.
"I cant- I just can't do it anymore Adam. I've got nothing left keeping me here anymore." You hated the look that sat dormant on his features during the discussion. "I'm sorry but-" Adam hadn't actually said anything while you tried desperately to end it. He made no attempt to plead with you to stay, he didn't agree with you that things had gotten to bad, he didn't even get mad at you. He just listened.
Adam stood from his seat on the sofa. He nodded, grabbing his jacket and heading straight to the door.
"Are you not going to say anything?" You sighed out, the tears darting from your eyes as if they were abandoning ship to follow Adam. He shook his head, Adam resembled a broken man as he stood in front of you.
"Nothing to say Y/N, just- go and be happier." Those were his parting words with you. You see that's why you wouldn't say you ended on bad terms. Although it didn't end badly, you certainly couldn't say it ended on good terms either. There was no comforting, no parting hugs or meaningful goodbyes. It just ended.
Adam thought about that while he stood across the street from you. It was a Friday night, three months after you had called it off with him. You were with another guy, your arms wrapped around his as he carried a pizza box towards the direction of your apartment.
Adam wanted to flinch away when he heard you laugh at something your new lover had said to you. It was so loud, so full of happiness. Adam loved your laugh originally. It was so loud and goofy, it always embarrassed you when others heard it but he adored it. Not anymore though because now as he stood listening or it he realised that he hadn't heard that laugh in far too long, longer than the three months that you had been apart. Adam hadn't heard that laugh in ages because he hadn't made you happy in what felt like forever.
When Adam told you to go and be happier, he really did mean it, he knew he couldn't be the one to make you happier any longer and for that reason he didn't deserve to keep you anymore. Adam didn't put up a fight the day you left him because he truly wanted better for you, better than him.
Adam watched as you disappeared down the street with your new lover, his gut twisting painfully as he forced a sorrowful smile upon his lips. "I'm glad you're happier." He whispered out brokenly to the cold night air.