Chapter 14 Devon's Gang

Devon made it to the house across the street from her house.  She crouched down in the shadows to wait for something to happen that would allow her to get across without being seen.  She sat there for an hour when a group of teenage girl's cam into sight.  "That's it, that's the distraction I need!" she thought excitedly.  It did not take too long for them to make it to the place where she was hiding "psst" she said "hey, psst, down here" the girls stopped to peer into the shadows.  "Hey are you some sort of pervert?" asked one girl.  "What are you doing there?" asked another.  Devon held her finger in front of her parched lips indicating the girls to be quiet.  They looked at each other as if to say "do we listen to the wacko, or do we run?"  "Look girls I am in big trouble" she whispered.  This made the girl's  curious and there is nothing more intriguing then a person in trouble.  They wetted their lips and nodded for the strange to keep going.  Devon had always looked younger then her years and she knew she could pass for an eighteen year old quite easily.  "I causght my boyfriend cheating on me with my sister"  she kept quiet long enough for the girls to be hooked by her lie.  The young girls were completely spellbound.  They all gave a gasp at this revelation, "what did you do?" whispered a girl Devon assumed was the leader of the little pack.  "Well that's what I am in trouble for.  When I caught them in bed together I ran out and got a pail of the purple paint we were going to use in the livingroom.  I snuck back into the bedroom where they were still going at it and dumped the whole thing all over them."  The curious girls laughed uproariously at the picture Devon just painted for them. "But wait, there is more and probably the part I am really in trouble for.  You see I thought since those two wanted to be together so badly then I would help them.  I added a whole bottle of "Quick Glue" the instant dry stuff to the paint.  Those two will have to be cut apart." she looked up at the girls and raised her eyebrow so they could understand what she was saying, " then I went outside and dumped a tin of bright yellow paint and glue all over the new air car the two of us bought.  Anyone get into that car they are never getting out.  Devon looked down at the ground with a sad expression having the girls believe she was terribly sorry for the imaginary thing she had done.  The girls jumped and hollered then clapped the sad young woman on the back.  She had become a new found hero and the girls clutched their sore stomachs from laughing so much."

"Serves them right!" said the leader of the little group "we think what you did is wonderful!  I hope when I catch my boyfriend cheating on me I can come up with something as clever as you did!"  They were all earnestly agreeing "but why are you hinding here?" another girl asked "Well you see that odd car over there," she pointed at the car with the darkened screen, "that's Josh's friend and he helps the Communicators so he scares the daylights out of me.  He is waiting for me to show up, and oh that's my house across the street, but I think he is going to try to grab me and dragged me back to that creeps house."  A tear escaped from her large moist eyes.  "Oh no! You poor thing!  We will do anything to  help you!" they all shook their heads in agreement. Devon was starting to feel badly for deceiving these young girls but she didn't know what else to do.  "I don't know if I can ask you to do this for me" "yes you can!" yelled all of the girls at once.  Then the leader grabbed the poor jilted woman's hand, "please let us help you!  This is the most excitement we have had in our whole lives! You can't take this away from us now, can you?"  Their anxious faces were so pleading that Devon could not say no.

"What I thought was if you can distract him just so I can get into my house without being seen.  My brother won't be home till later but I'll be safe if I can just get in.  Do any of you have an idea how we can do this?"  The girls huddled closely to discuss what they hoped was a devious plan.

"Oh man, this is so damn boring!" mumbled the agent "how come I always get stuck with such stupid assignments?  I could be at home right now enjoying a tall glass of C&C and ice along with a large, greasy burger from George's Burger Joint."  He didn't think he would ever tire of, not just his but ninety-five percent of the populations, favorite drink. He thought about the burger again as his lips watered but had to console himself with the thought that even if he gets home late and Georges is closed there are so many take out places on his block he would never go hungry.  He could eat something different every day for two weeks just by trying each eatery in a two block radius.