23: Learning New Things

With the COVID-2019 outbreak, I've been unable to go out much. It's kinda freaky how quickly the virus is spreading around the world but I sincerely hope all of us are safe where ever we live. We're going to win the war against this monster so ...

 We're going to win the war against this monster so

Read on...

"My family used to have everything. We were rich and comfortable with our lives. My dad was a businessman, he had a line of businesses in India  and for the most part of the year, he was away. My mother was left to manage the home and the poor woman would work from dawn to dusk to ensure we had food on our tables. While she did all these, slowly, she forgot her maternal duties to me and my sisters."

From the frown on Pascal's face, Ella deduced he was digging up unpleasant memories. "Wendy's father and mine used to be close friends, so when our fathers and mothers were occupied, Wendy would come to play with me. She had no siblings unlike me but my sisters were little demons and I preferred to avoid them at all cost."

"Little demons?" Ella laughed.

"Dally once snuck in purple dye to my hair cream, Molly, soldier ants in my trousers and Tina, a snake in my bath water. Dally and Molly are twins so that made everything worse." Pascal recounted, a sad smile playing on his lips.

"Where are they now?"

"Dad took them to India after he separated from my mom. He discovered Mom was sneaking around with Wendy's father. My frienship with Wendy ended there and then. I expected us to still remain friends."

A pang of pity wracked Ella's heart. How bad he must have felt to have lost his friend.

"I'm sorry."

Pascal nodded. Their gazes met for a brief moment. "And now, she's sinking her claws into the prince." He mumbled.

All of a sudden, every trace of sadness was wiped from his face. He jumped up to his feet and pulled Ella up. "Let's dance. The past is gone, live in the present."

Ella smiled and allowed him lead her to where other people were dancing with so much glee. She shook off the feeling of a pair of eyes watching her and enjoyed Pascal teaching her some dance steps.

Live in the present.

"This is fun." Ella giggled as Pascal spun her round twice.

He matched her smile. "I told you so."

Ella did not spare Eric because Pascal kept her occupied throughout the celebration, sharing amusing jokes with her.

"Thanks for tonight." Ella told Pascal after he escorted her to her hut.

She could see him smile as the burning torch behind them threw a topaz glow on his face.

"Thank you too. Maybe we should do this some other time." He suggested, bouncing nervously on his feet.