Chapter 19

Hearing nothing but the sound of my own heartbeat, everything went black before the phone slipped from my hands, and crashed onto the floor with a loud bang. Three sets of eyes looked at me, one with concern, one with curiosity, and one with anger. Feeling someone’s heated gaze darting bullets at me, I glanced down nervously, seeing my phone laying safely next to my feet. Before I realized what was happening, Dennis’ voice filled the air.

        “A-h-h why-y are you so good at t-th-his?” he moaned softly, his breath uneven. I bit my lips, blinking back the tears. I couldn’t cry—I can’t cry. Not in front of them and not in front of my cousins, either. Even though they weren’t here physically, they could still hear and see everything.

        “Practice makes perfect,” a raspy voice answered back.

        My eyes widened when I suddenly recognized the voice. It was the same deep chuckle I’d heard last time—his roommate. I blinked, realizing that Dennis, my boyfriend was gay and he was fucking his damn roommate. My dark orbs cut, as I narrowed my eyes at my phone—forgetting my earlier feelings—as I imagined his slow, and painful death.

        Ignoring everyone around me, and their confused faces, I bent down and snatched my phone off the ground, hitting the end button. Redialing his number, I placed it back near my ear, ready to give him a piece of my mind. I tapped my fingers on the white-clothed table, waiting impatiently for him to pick up. When he finally did, he had the nerve to pretend everything was okay in the world when it wasn’t.

        “Hey babe!” he shouted, as I heard rumbling noises in the background. Rolling my eyes at his fake cheery voice, I pushed back my emotions, and placed a smile on my face.

        “Hi Dennis,” I said through clenched teeth. “What’s up?”

        “Oh nothing much,” he said totally oblivious to the fact that he just butt-dialed me. “Just doing some homework.” Lies.

        “Is your roommate around?” I asked, getting straight to the point.

        “Ah, yeah . . .” He paused—a clear sign he’s thinking—“Why?”

        “Can I please talk to him?” I probed as nicely as I could. Dennis was smart, and I couldn’t let him figure out my plan before I even get there; I had to play it cool.

        “Um, alright,” he said, probably confused as hell, but did as I said. I waited a second or so, before another voice came through the speaker.

        “Hello?” the bastard said as he cleared his throat. “Who’s this?”

        “I’m your roommate, ex girlfriend. Please tell Dennis he can go fuck himself. Better yet, you guys can continue doing whatever the hell you’re doing, because I am so done,” I said all in one breath. Before the bastard could say anything back, I added, “Oh and by the way tell Dennis not to leave his phone in his back pocket anymore. You never know who it’s going to call.” Hitting the end button, I turned off my phone, slamming the phone on the table, before letting out a loud frustrated sigh.