Chapter 34

Thud.

That was the sound I heard when my cellphone slipped from my hand, and crashed against the checkered tiled floor. I gulped, backing away slowly from the note, eyeing every corner of the surrounding space before me.

H-how? This is the girl's bathroom. There's no way a boy could just walk in here without looking suspicious. Unless—

My eyes rounded when I saw the window cracked open a bit. That wasn't open before I got here—oh shit. My breath quickened when I saw the shadow of a body by the window. The air in the room suddenly dropped below freezing, as it pierced through my body like thousands of knives. A chill ran up my spine when I saw long flowing hair.

It couldn't be.

My heartbeat kicked into overdrive, and before I could even let out an ear-piercing scream, the bathroom door kicked open. My breath hitched, turning my head slowly at the intruder. My breathing slowed down, when I saw that it was just my cousin armed with some kind of device shaped like a pen. When our eyes meet, the rage that clouded his eyes started to disappear before his body relaxed with relief when he saw that I was alone.

Walking into the room carefully, he studied the space with sheer accuracy—not missing the tiniest of cracks. When he deemed the room safe enough, he lowered his weapon.

"Are you alright?" Skylar asked worriedly. "We got a code red from the boys."

"I-I'm fine," I squeaked out. "B-but the window."

He sighed. "We know."

"W-was it a g-girl?" I swallowed nervously seeing Skylar nodding his head.

"We didn't get a clear read on the face since she was wearing a hooded hat, but we did see strands of blonde."

"D-d-do you think a girl could be the killer?"

Skylar shook his head, pulling me towards his chest. My body visibly relaxed having him close to me. I sighed deeply, clutching onto his back like my life depended on it. Breathing in his familiar scent, I could feel my heartbeat slowing down, before my choppy breaths came out evenly again. I smiled into his chest, thanking him quietly. It was like he could sense I needed a hug. "Now that you're feeling a little less scared." He chuckled, glancing down at me. "I doubt the killer is a girl. But, I wouldn't rule out a second party being involved."

"You think the killer is working with a girl?"

He nodded. "That or he disguised himself as a girl," he answered me, before pulling out a plastic bag from his back pocket. "Can you hand me some gloves?"

I stared at him in puzzlement. "Um . . . I don't have gloves."

"It's in your purse," he told me as he gazed at the note. "We stashed some away in there when we were wiring some stuff earlier."

I lowered my head in a nod, before I realized he couldn't see me with his back turned towards me. "Right," I told him before opening up my bag. Digging through the pile of shit I had, I finally found a pair of gloves contained in a sealed plastic bag. "Here."

He whispered a small thanks before he took the gloves out of the bag. Sliding them over his hands, he picked up the note and dropped the evidence in the other bag he was carrying. Pocketing the baggies in my purse, he bent down and picked up my discarded cell phone. "Luckily this didn't break." He laughed, giving me my phone back.

"Thanks," I said before clutching the small object in my hands.

"No problem, now let's get out of here before someone starts banging on the door. I don't need some old lady attacking me," he joked, trying to lighten up the mood.