[2] Over a coffee...

Normally, those words coming out of normal person's mouth would sound childish. But when Dr. Cherrylove said them, it became a whole different story. As one of the greatest leading scientist in the field of prosthetics and the head master of science at IIMT (International Institute of Magistics and Technology). She joked around all the time, but when she was serious, her words held absolute authority. And I have even seen it in live action once, where she openly hinted blackmail against one of the military commanders.

"The real test?" I said, with one hand supporting my chin.

"That's right, the real test. So here's how it goes." Dr. Cherrylove leaned back and folded her arms: "Every year around the middle of December, the 'real' test will be held at the Fortress of Night."

I had a vague impression of the name 'Fortress of Night'. It was one of the locations I supposedly passed by on the route of one of my transport missions.

"Isn't that the place where the demon king used to reside, a couple millennia ago?" I pointed out.

"Yes, but I am afraid that has nothing to do with the exam." Dr. Cherrylove smiled and crossed her legs. "There will be about 10,000 people attending this exam, and 3 days before the 'real' test, everyone will be paired into groups of 2, by a random number generator. And at that point, you will all most likely be paired up someone random. Oh, and I almost forgot to tell you all the fact, that you 4 will be the first humans ever to take the 'real' test.

Silence.

"I know this is a lot to take in, but whomever fails this test, regardless human or elemental will be dismissed from the academy, and that means dispersing the Iron Angel division for us."

What used to be a happy conversation over coffee, was now as lively as a grave.

"It's just a stupid test, we got this no problem!" Rumble shoot up from his chair, fist raised and face full of enthusiasm.

"If it was that simple, then I wouldn't come and inform you all in the first place." Dr. Cherrylove said with a tired smile.

"Is it really that hard?" Rumble dropped back to his seat.

"Ah, not only are there monsters, but you also have to watch out for other students as well." Dr. Cherrylove said, with her expression buried deep in concern.

"You mean the Elementals? The ones with funny large hats?" Rumble asked.

​Elementals are basically no different from humans, from physique to intelligence, from emotion to appearance, except that all of them have natural born magic powers. With their power levels varying from levitating pebbles to moving mountains.

"A little stereotypical, but yes. And a few exceptional elemental students participating in the 'real' test are just as strong as Soulsteel, if not stronger."

A heavy rain seemed to cast around the table at the mention of the name 'Soulsteel'. He was freakishly powerful and was our main foe during operation Cold-Steel. All of us, including the whole squadron of MS combined, barely took him down. And more than half our squadron died that day.

"Don't worry, I have a plan for all this!" Dr. Cherrylove said, as she took a sip of her drink, "to make it clear, in order to pass the exam, all you have to do is survive in the area for 3 days."

She sets down her drink and continued:

"That is why for the next a month and a half, we need to push you all harder on training and I am counting you on that commander Isa!" Dr. Cherrylove looked to Isa with a big smile, who gave a brief nod.

"Also, I have another tip for you all, and that is to go out to the school grounds and start making some new friends! There are no official allies during the 'test' other than your partner, but there are also no rules in the 'test' barring one group from teaming up with another group. And remember having powerful elementals as your allies, increases your chances of survivability. And that way none of you are going to fail."

What Dr. Cherrylove had just said, was no doubt easier said than done. It wasn't even the matter of fact of socializing, but rather there is a reason why you often don't see a humans socialize with Elementals. And not even talking about the extremist on both sides, just when the moderates of both sides meet, it ends up awkward, due to cultural and racial heterogeneity. And especially now, with all the rising tensions between humans and elementals, from riots and terrorist attack, Ayre (the city which I live in), the most culturally and racially diverse city in the world, was showing hints of heading down that slope.
"I am sorry for piling all this information on to you guys, but there is one more thing I need to say to you Kard." Dr. Cherrylove turned to me: "I know time is brief, but we need you to be able to fully handle your MS well before the 'real' test comes. That is why I hired another coach for you, to help you with your practice run."

"A new coach?" I slightly cocked my head to the side.

"That's right, but don't worry, Isa will still be your combat coach, your new coach is just for the extra practice. I am so sorry Kard, I hope you are ok with this arrangement."

If I fail the exam, the Iron Angel division will have no choice but to disperse...

Actually, if you carefully think about it, the request is really only a cover, it really is just an order...

I really don't have any other choices do I?

Curses...

I furiously scratched my head inside my head, then with a sigh I replied:

"No, I guess this is the only way..."

Q: How do you deal with pressure?