A love lost

With her fingers twitching Audrey paused at the front door of her house. She sniffed at her clothes and took one last glance at her attire before opening the door. Upon swinging the door open she was left perplexed at darkness which consumed the apartment.

Normally when she arrived home at ten in the night, she would be welcomed by the hallway lights and the sound of her wife's annoyingly upbeat greetings while she busily prepared dinner for them both. Tonight, however, the only sounds which greeted her were the vehicles and music coming from the street below.

"Angela? Are you home?" she questioned into the hallway. As weird as it was to be left alone part of her prayed her wife really was out or already asleep. After spending the day with a certain accountant, she was in no mood to entertain her wife.

"I'm in the living room." a voice responded. She released a sigh. Apparently, her wish to head straight to bed would go unheard. She threw her things to the right of the hallway and made her way to the living room as she traced her left hand in the wall beside her. Though at that moment she wanted nothing more than you avoid her wife, Audrey would always look back to that specific time in her life and wish she could change the events that were fastly approaching. At that moment, unfortunately, her twenty-six-year-old self-thought nothing of it as she strode through the hallway relishing the light feeling brought on by her day.

Her insides still tingled as her thoughts drifted back to him. It was only mere hours ago they parted and yet she already craved more of him. More of his muscular arms gripping her more and more into his body. More of her running her hands through his soft blonde hair. More of the way he threw her on the bed and devoured her until every part of her body ached. God! Why did she have to leave him to come back to this place.

She came to the end of the hallway and turned the corner not knowing what to expect and not caring at what she might find. There, to the far end of the room facing her was her wife. Her soft brown eyes were closed, and her shoulders were slouched. In her right hand she held a bottle of whiskey and sat near a lamp, the only source of light in the apartment.

At the sight of Angela, the spring in her step were gone. Her skin itched with frustration and her mind swarm with everything wrong in the apartment. Aggressively, she neared the switched above the TV and flicked the lights on. "Why did you leave the lights off? I could have hurt myself coming in"

Audrey, of course, knew that was not true. Her wife compulsion to clean made it impossible for her to drop over any stray object but she did not care. She needed an excuse to take out her frustration on the woman. "If you don't care for your safety then at least consider mines."

She stood there for a few seconds, waiting. She wanted more reasons to argue with her and she was ready to use the woman's her own defenses against her. Sadly, the woman in front of her said nothing. She kept her eyes close and ignored Audrey's presence.

Audrey puff in annoyance. Why did she even try to communicate with her? Angela have always lived in her own world and ignored everything else around her. Why was did she expect tonight to be any different. She shook her head and was about to turn when her wife's cold and empty voice stopped her in her tracks.

"How was your date?" It was four simply words, yet they stopped her heart when she heard them. Her mind went blank and her body grew cold. It was impossible. There was no way Angela knew of Christopher. She always covered her tracks and watched her back. She made sure no connections could be made between her and what she did outside of the house. Yet fear gripped her throat and made it impossible to speak. She needed to stay calm. She was not about to falter for something that might not have even happened. Especially to someone like Angela.