Chapter 12: Big Bro

holy crap i didn't realize how long it has been since i last posted a chapter >_< i'm so sorry for the wait, this chapter was actually a pain to write lol hope you guys like it though!!! much love <3

The walk to work was finally starting to become a pleasant stroll rather than a chilly battle against headwind. I took a deep breath of the now flowery air, glad that thin sweater and jeans were enough to keep the cold out. It was almost ten o'clock when I arrived at the cafe as I was one of the lucky employees who didn't have to open and face the morning crowd. Instead I got to enjoy a carefree stroll in the warm morning sun. "Morning!" I called out as I pushed open the doors.

"Someone's in a good mood," Haruhi looked up from her phone as she leaned on the counter. "Something happen last night?" She winked suggestively, making my face burn. I still hadn't told her, or anyone else for that matter, about what had happened between Garou and myself last week. "Am I not simply allowed to be in a good mood? The weather's really nice out today, that's all."

"Uh huh, I'm sure." She rolled her eyes as I glared at her, taking my leave to the back to clock in. As I logged into the antiquated computer, I felt a hand slip around my waist, making me straighten in surprise. "Whoa, whoa, take it easy!" A gentle, carefree voice soothed my jumpy nerves and a smile broke out across my face as I turned around. "Senpai!"

"Y/n-chan!" He repeated my enthusiastic cry, teasingly mocking my voice. Slightly embarrassed, I punched him softly in the chest. "Oh, shut up will ya?" Makoto's big hands rubbed my head as he smirked. "What?! I thought that was pretty accurate!"

"See, there's the problem, you were thinking." I teased back and he feigned pain, holding his chest with a hurt expression. "Oh, oh, ouch! That hurt, Y/n-chan!" We both burst out into a fit of laughter when Haruhi burst through the door, eyes flashing dangerously. Makoto threw his hand over my mouth and bit his lip to try and quell his chuckles. There was a beat of silence, and the fear of Haruhi's anger stopped my giggles completely. "Y/n," Her sharp voice made me jolt a bit, dread spilling into every one of my blood vessels.

Suddenly her stern expression broke out into a smirk, her eyes now sparkling with mischief. "There's someone here to see you. Also you two look like you just saw a ghost. Am I that scary?" Makoto and I glanced at one another and then turned back to her. "Absolutely terrifying." We spoke in unison, making her wrinkle her nose with happiness. "Good to know!"

"Wait, who is it?" I started to follow her and Haruhi shrugged. "I don't know... He looks kinda familiar though," My curiosity was now piqued as I walked out into the cafe, my eyes quickly scanning the small area. "It's him," Haruhi whispered, pointing to the only person in the room as if I wouldn't have been able to figure it out on my own.

I tip-toed toward the person, staring at the short, messy black hair that was the only feature I could see from behind. A strange sense of both fear and anticipation made my heart flutter nervously, even though there was nothing to be worried about. Most likely. "Excuse me, sir? Is there something that you needed my help for?" My soft voice grabbed the man's attention, his gaze shifting over to me as I walked toward his table.

The first thing I noticed were his eyes; his irises were dark red, the same crimson that blood created when it had dried. They stuck out against his deathly pale face which was so light that it almost seemed grey. His thick black hair was close-cropped, but that didn't stop the strands from sticking out messily. I felt his eyes glance over me, coming back to meet my gaze with a smile on his thin lips. "So it really is you, N/n-chan. It's been a while hasn't it?"

Blood drained from my face after hearing his voice, after hearing those words. Nobody had called me that in a very long time. After all, it was a nickname my brother had given to me. I looked at the man again, this time scouring his face for every little detail. "Onii-chan?" The hopeful whisper escaped me as tears began to bubble up in the corners of my eyes. He stood up from the table and gave me another weak smile; it was watery and timid, as though he had forgotten how to smile along time ago. He opened his arms hesitantly and we locked eyes again.