Chapter 11: Dragon

holy shit guys did it not take me two months to update the next chapter?! wow, how rare... and it's a longer chapter?! wHaT. actually confused how i got this done so fast, but, hey, enjoy my lovely readers <3

My eyes flew open, my whole body covered in a cold sweat. It dripped down my neck, but my mouth was as dry as sand. I looked down at my hands, both of them trembling over what had just happened; dreams. More memories of my time at the hospital had come back to haunt me. Since the day I had collapsed, every night without Garou just led to worse and worse nightmarish scenes coming back. My wrist prickled uncomfortably and I could feel my veins pulsing rapidly against the skin. I wrapped the blanket around myself, trying to keep the tears from falling. I was absolutely terrified.

Trembling in the sheets, I convinced myself to walk to the kitchen and grab some water because the scratchy thirst that persisted in my throat was becoming unbearable. Slipping out of the covers, my bare feet tip-toed across the cold floors. Using both hands, I grabbed a glass, watching it wobble back and forth in my shaky palms. I set it in the sink and ran some cool water in, picking it back up.

The first sip was blissful; the crisp, clean taste soothed my dry mouth and helped me calm down slightly. Surprisingly, my unsteady hands hadn't spilled any on me either, so that was a plus. I took a few more sips, still scared to go back to bed, knowing that as soon as I closed my eyes, the nightmares would persist. "Maybe I'll just wait for Garou to get back..."

As if on cue, I heard the doorknob rattle softly, followed by the click of it opening. "Garou! You're back already-" I stopped mid-sentence, the glass in my hands falling to the floor, sending broken shards of glass and cold water all over the floor. "Garou? No, no, no, I don't think that I'm Garou. You must have the wrong person." A warped image of a man stood before me; he had long blonde hair and four eyes with a mouth full of sharp fangs. His stature towered over mine, each one of his four arms rippling with muscle. "W-Who... Wha..." I stepped back instinctively, my heart rate picking up again.

"Oh my, how rude of me!" The monster covered his mouth with all four of his hands and chuckling. "Please excuse the intrusion. I'm Ayo from the Monster Association and I've come to take you back to headquarters! Gyoro Gyoro has taken quite the interest in you and she said that if I do well then I can get rewarded!" He laughed again, all too cheerful for how he looked. "So, sweetheart, if you come with me peacefully then there won't be any issues, kay?"

I had backed myself into a wall, my nails practically clawing against it. "S-Stay back!" I brandished a piece of the broken glass out in front of myself. "Oh my, oh my, what fighting spirit! How cute~ Unfortunately for you, doll, I can sense your heartbeat. It's through the roof! And I don't think it's because of my hot body because the fear you're emitting tastes magnificent," He slowly walked toward me, his feet crushing the shards to dust without so much as pricking him.

Panic set in, balling up into a tight knot against my rib cage. I couldn't breathe well; this monster was going to kill me. As much as I hated to admit it, I couldn't fight. I wasn't the bad ass woman that you would find in the manga. I was just a nobody who couldn't even sleep by herself. Tears of both fear and shame slipped down my face as I watched the beast raise one of its arms, the hand balled up into a fist. My hands instantly raised themselves to try and protect myself from the blow.

The blow, however, never came. I hesitantly opened my eyes to see the monster, frozen in place with a look of horror in all of it's eyes. It crashed onto the floor, froth pouring out of its mouth. My knees gave out and I pitched forward, heading straight for the floor. Strong arms caught me mid-fall, pulling me back up. "Y/n! Y/n! Y/n, answer me!" A calloused hand touched my face, forcing it to look into a familiar pair of eyes. "Garou..." The whisper escaped my chapped lips as the tears flowed harder.