Chapter 7: Subject 67

sacrificed sleep for this chapter but i'm more than pleased with the results. school will be starting soon so updates may become slower. i still have about a week though, so let's see how far that gets me ^^' anyways, please enjoy my lovelies <3

A faint click startled me awake from my light sleep. My eyes flew open and I sat up, clutching my blankets tightly in anticipation. "Shit!" A gravelly voice cried out, straining to keep quiet, but I still heard it. Springing out of my bed, my feet tip-toed across the cold concrete floors of my apartment. As I gingerly opened my door to peer down the hall, I caught a glimpse of grey hair.

My fear was replaced with a melting sense of relief and I calmly walked out into the living room. "G-Garou?" The softness of sleep still hadn't left my voice yet, but he still heard it. Garou jerked around, his face relaxing when he saw that it was just me. "Y/n! What are you still doing up?"

"I was worried about you..." Truth slipped out of my lips, but I didn't regret it in the least. "R-Really?" Garou's voice cracked a bit, but he quickly cleared his throat, trying to hide it. "Well, you shouldn't be! I'm going to be the best monster, remember? Nothing can take me down!" I giggled at his tenacity, but an uncomfortable sense of guilt was slowly growing in my chest; I didn't have to ask to know where he had been.

I staggered closer, still squinting my eyes from the abrupt switch from dark to light. A hand stopped me, the calloused palm pressing against my forehead. "Nope, not any closer until after I get a shower."

"Why?"

"Do you really want to know?" Garou's low voice was dripping with mischief, but there was another underlying tone that I didn't understand at first; it was fear. He didn't want me to know about what I couldn't quite see, which only made the sinking weight of guilt in my stomach grow. I bit my lip, glancing up at him, my eyes finally adjusted.

Rusty stains clung to his cheek and lips, a red tint on his teeth, like he had coughed up blood. His clothes had the same treatment and I could only guess what his hands were like. The same hand that he had touched me with; I was starting to feel sick.

He gave me a half smile, knowing that I had seen the dirty truth. "I'll be back." I managed to nod softly, somehow keeping it together until Garou had left for the bathroom. Once I heard the door click shut, I lunged for the kitchen sink, promptly throwing up. I held onto the counter for dear life as more vomit came out.

This shouldn't have been a surprise; if anything, I already knew. Hell, I had even watched him do it once! But this was different; before I didn't really know him. Garou had been a stranger to me beforehand. What he did wasn't a concern to me.

Now, though... Now he's someone that I craved to be with. He's someone that I genuinely enjoyed being near. He's someone who's been making me feel rather annoying things as of late. It wasn't fair. Why did he of all people have to be the monster in my life?

My shaky hands jerked the facet on, washing down my half digested dinner. Moving out of habit, I opened the fridge and grabbed a lemon. Slicing a small bit of it off, I threw it down the drain and flipped the garbage disposal on to ensure that my kitchen didn't stink. After the scent of lemons replaced the bitterness of vomit, I turned the loud machine off.

An uncomfortable buzz was circulating through my body, but it was better than the hazy numbness that was overtaking my mind. "The monster in my life... Why do I feel like I've been here? No... No it was different then. Similar, but different." My head began to ache as I tried to remember things that weren't there anymore. "Wait... Why can't I remember? I've... I've always had memories there..."

I let my hands drift into my hair with my eyes tightly shut as panic began to set in; too many things were happening at once. I couldn't process all these feelings at once. It just felt bad. "Mommy... Daddy... Help me..."