Chapter 42

John was in a terrible condition, his arms were restrained, and he was covered with different kinds of wounds and burns. He wasn't unconscious Arlo could tell, although the blond could only see him behind the glass mirror.

There was no explanation to the blond about what exactly have happened, but Arlo saw three actual healers attempting to heal John, yet John's wounds still seemed to be far from being healed despite their abilities being used.

Then a drug was injected to John, and the dark haired man started trembling. His face twisted in pain, and agonizing screams escaped his mouth. It took awhile for the screams to stop, but it was replaced by coughing, coughing until there was blood.

The blond couldn't take it, seeing John in this kind of pain, but if there's anything he couldn't take more that, it was watching John suffer without being able to do anything.

Arlo almost begged for them to let him in, but they didn't agreed. He badly wanted to punch the glass until it shattered into pieces, but he held himself back. If he did something reckless, things may get worse, and he might lose his permission to retrieve John.

But everything was painful, and the blond have no idea about what exactly happened to John. What did they forced him to do? Why are they suddenly changing their minds?

They just reasoned that he was a failed experiment, but they didn't exactly told him how so.

The blond was told that they'll discuss everything once tomorrow comes since it's already really late, and once John was in a slightly better condition, he could take him home.

After that, they said that they wouldn't need anything more from John, and that they are giving him 'freedom'.

The authorities finally leaving John alone was too good to be true. They drugged John for years! They killed his father! Arlo even have to beg just to see him after they took him away, so why?

It was difficult to comprehend, and Arlo found himself shaking in anger as he waited outside, sitted on the white chair as he waited for the news. The guards were beside him, watching his move, and he was desperately trying to hide the the rage, the confusion and the fear he've felt.

He couldn't even check his phone to hear from Seraphina and Isen, nor could he update them either since he would be seen.

Before going here himself, he told them to drive towards the hotel they've booked using Blyke's name for him to meet him there once he've gotten John back, since it would be suspicious if they were to come along.

The whole plan for the raid was scrapped, and Arlo instead wanted to retrieve the dark haired man without raising suspicions. He even waited an hour or two before heading to this place, just so it wouldn't seemed like he've been there before the call happened.

Still, the blond needed answers, and as he waited, he crafted another plan.

He made Isen use his abilities to see the number of those inside the headquarters, the locations, and to check if John was really there.

The discovery was a surprise. Arlo have expected it to be trap, and he's fully aware that it could still be a trap even if John's presence was confirmed. Other than that, there isn't much as he expected there to be on the headquarters, and as Isen told him, there isn't a single dead body either.

There were just a few rooms with computers, experiments, and a large-plain room in which John was kept before. He seemed to be the only human experiment in that place, and that information somehow made Arlo more suspicious than before.

After Isen confirmed what he've seen, Arlo made him memorize every details, cause after all, there is a role that only Isen is capable of, and Arlo is entrusting even if there's a slight chance that his loyalty might be questionable.

He was made to consume a drug that turns him invisible for only a certain amount of time, and once he've managed to make it once Arlo arrives, he is to hack into the data base and copy every details about John's files, and if possible, get the clips of him during his confinement.

He couldn't use his ability once he's inside though, since he would be sensed by machine, and the alarm would go on, which is why the blond made sure that he memorized the location.

A lot could still go wrong, but Arlo decided to trust him, as well as Remi whom he've also sent with Isen to ruin the power source just in case they were caught.

For now, Arlo could just wait, although he disliked letting the clock ticks as he sits like an obedient dog.

"Experiment No. 4314 has already fallen asleep. His body still hasn't fully healed, but he's in a better condition than he is earlier. I'd recommend taking him out days after he's healed but--" the healer froze upon meeting Arlo's gaze, "They wanted him out as soon as possible..."

Arlo wanted the same. To take him out as soon as he could, and leave.

There's also a strong desire for revenge, but the desire to keep John safe outweighs all of his rage.

"I'll take him with me if you'll allow me now, but I don't think I could leave without hearing what they've promised to tell."

The two guards seemed alerted with what Arlo said, his tone sounded a bit threatening, but he spoke again, "But since he's already asleep, I suppose there's no harm in letting me in."

Although hesitant, both the guards and the healer agreed. The two other healers left inside the room, and instead, the guards remained to watch him.

Arlo was finally able to see John up close, and although he looked peaceful asleep, it isn't enough to calm Arlo's worries.

He gently touched John's hand, and it felt so cold. He observed the remaining wounds and bruises that he had, and Arlo just wanted to laugh.

They aren't even close to being healed. It's as if, his body was rejecting it, just like the drug they injected him earlier.