Chapter 22

John was sitting on a bench, waiting for Arlo to come. They were supposed to have dinner outside, and John was told to wait at the park at seven.

Today was the first time that John actually had shoots, and he was surprised that he earned quite a lot for it. Faking confidence was something John was good at, he could easily mimic pose and he also know how to appeal on those around him. Needless to say, it wasn't difficult for him, although he still felt tired regardless. John wasn't really the type who likes 'dressing up' and trying different styles, so changing from multiple clothes wore him out.

He just finished recently, and he was glad that it didn't went beyond the time he was supposed to meet Arlo.

However, it's been an hour since seven, and Arlo still hasn't arrived. He texted the blond, asking him where he was, but there wasn't any reply. Minutes later, he texted him again, asking if he was going to come, or if John should just go home. He tried calling Arlo multiple times, but he wasn't even picking up.

It was cold, and John was just shivering on the bench. The dark haired man watched numerous people pass him by, waiting for Arlo just to appear right in front of him. At some point, he just stared at the ground, feeling more terrible the more he waited. He should just go home, because Arlo might have just forgotten about eating out with him--but still, Arlo might arrive.

Maybe, Arlo's just in a middle of something and lost track of time?

John just kept on waiting, until it was almost ten. He was starving and shivering, and the amount of people passing by was becoming less. Arlo didn't even messaged him, and negative thoughts were starting to fill his mind.

The dark haired man really was going to leave, but he didn't because he thought that he could still wait a little more. John was just looking down the ground, he wasn't mad. He was upset-- scared.

But at that time, he've felt fingers slightly ruffling his hair in a gentle way, and when he looked up, it was Arlo.

Arlo looked conflicted over something, and like he was guilty... But still, Arlo showing up made John relieved, and at the same time, he felt a pang on his chest.

"I'm sorry." Arlo apologized, bringing his hand towards John's cheeks, "Are you hungry? Let's go home, John..."

John didn't said anything, although he had a lot of questions. Arlo was cuffing his cheeks,   but John's gaze went on the ground.

Arlo's fingers were warm, and it felt nice. He couldn't find the will to speak, nor to express what he' ve felt. It was bittersweet, because John have thought of the worst things before Arlo showed up.

"Hey, John... It's cold here... Is there anything you want to eat? I'll order it." Arlo said to him.

The blond felt bad. After Elaine's call, he wasn't able to think properly. He doubted John's words, and everything he've told him during those times when the dark haired man cried to him. He thought about the terrible things about John-- terrible things that John did. It came to Arlo's mind that John was manipulative, making him feel pity for him, making him blind from the monster he was. Arlo felt dumb because he was aware of the cruel things he've done, yet he was still trying to help him.

The blond was mad at him, and he didn't want to see John at this night. He've thought of making him wait for nothing as a revenge, and as soon as he gets home, Arlo was planning to make him leave. But in the end...

It all comes back when he remembered John, looking scared and uncomfortable. He remembered how John's arms sometimes looked so red, and him avoiding to meet Arlo's gaze. He remembered those times when he saw John trembling, and those times when he just looked so vulnerable as if he might break.

The thought of him not coming when John waiting outside crossed his mind, and it was so unbearable. He've forgotten about the things he've thought before, because he knew that they weren't true.

John wasn't manipulating him, it was Arlo's decision to help him in the first place. John may have lied about something, but could Arlo even blame him? Things were just too much for John, and he've been all alone before.

Arlo doesn't want to abandon him, he doesn't want to picture John believing wrong things about himself. The thought of losing John scared him, and he doesn't think he could stomach seeing John leave.

"Say something, John..."

The dark haired man still remained silent, and Arlo held his hands.

"Let's go home, I'm already here... "

John suddenly stood up, and before Arlo wss able to react, John's arms were wrapped around him, his head burried on his shoulders.

People stared at them, but neither John nor Arlo cared. Arlo embraced him, until John pulled away on his own.

They went home after that, with John still being silent on their way. When they got home, Arlo tried talking with him again.

"What do you want to eat? Tell me so I can order it as soon as I can. "

"You don't have to order anything." John finally spoke, "I'll just eat two of the mangoes you gave me. "

"Aren't you hungry? Mangoes wouldn't fill you, maybe you should atleast eat something else first."

"I don't want to." the dark haired man said, "This is enough for me, it's already late anyway."

Arlo didn't convince him to eat anything else any further. Instead, he just watched John slicing up the mangoes before he ate.

He looked tranquil, but Arlo knew better. He knew that John was disturbed ever since, and Arlo had just ignored it the first when he saw him again. The blond just kept seeing signs until it was just hard to ignore, and if what Elaine told him was true, then Arlo wanted to be his safe haven, his sanctuary, someone who would help him heal, and get him back on his feet.

Arlo didn't knew his feelings before, but he knew that he cared for John. He didn't know if it was love, because he didn't know how it should feel.

Did he wanted to kiss John? He did, more than anything else. But he was just so afraid, he doesn't want John to think that he was taking advantage of him, and he doesn't want to rush things either.

It was foreign for him, but he finally knew what he've felt.

He loved John, and he wanted to keep him safe. It wasn't pity, because he might have felt like this even from before.