"Does he own the library?" I asked.

"I don't think so. He's never really talked about it but he does whatever he wants and doesn't ever get fired so he could be involved with the owner." She laughed at herself as if the thought was impossible. "Let's go introduce you."

When the man spotted Kate and myself walking over to him, he quickly maneuvered himself, stuffing something in one of his desk drawers like he was guilty of something.

"Arthur, this is Emma. She's the new worker Elijah was talking about."

He didn't say anything, nor did it look as if he was breathing. Kate, however, seemed to spot something I didn't.

"Arthur, you old bastard! Are you smoking weed in here again?"

Arthur, with a childish grin, released a sluggish breath. The white smoke left his mouth and pressed into Kate's face, which made her twist in disgust.

"You're high again, aren't you?" She placed her hands on her hips as if this was just another regular occurrence for him.

"High as the smoke from a chimney, my sweet and annoying Kate." His arms reached back behind his head and rested there while he stretched out his legs.

Arthur was oddly skinny with large shoulders. His hair was a pearl white, not one sign of his youth left in it. He was dressed in a button-up shirt, Khaki loose pants, and very well polished brown dress shoes. His eyes were a lighter brown than Kate's. They were still playful behind his black-framed glasses, more than most college students I'd seen.

"Hello, Emma." His British accent came out firmly.

"Hello, Arthur," I said to him, extending a formal greeting.

He nodded with a ghastly look on his face. "Put that hand back in your pocket. I don't like being all proper."

"Sorry." I pulled back my hand and let it sit on my bag strap.

Arthur studied me briefly, squinting.

"For my own amusement, may I make an observation?" He asked me.

"God, not this..." Kate rubbed her temple. "Arthur don't do this today."

I nodded, knowing nothing else to do. "I- I guess?"

"Lovely!" He smiled knowingly.

"Here we go," Kate sighed.

Arthur cleared his throat and began to speak. "You're the type of woman that likes to be independent and is headstrong." He paused. "I like that about you. You're kind enough to everyone, yet you don't let anyone walk over you. I admire that." Again, he paced his words after a pause. "But I also know that girls like you, no matter how kind or hardworking, always carry some sort of emotional baggage. You need this job and the money it provides. This is a library, keep the personal outside, yeah?"

I took a breath.

I wasn't expecting that...

"Did you just threaten her?" Kate looked at him with the wildest expression on her face. If it weren't for the tone in her voice, I would have chuckled. "What is wrong with you? Be respectful!"

"Yeah, yeah, I have to go take a piss. Don't enjoy yourself too much, Emma, it isn't a strip club!" He stood from his chair with a subtle grunt. "God I wish this were a strip club..." He muttered on his way out.

"Please, don't let him intimidate you. He thinks his little observation game is hysterical. He does it to every new worker." Kate explained to me quickly. "The worst part is that nine times out of ten, the Brit is spot on with everything he says." She held onto my arm once more and pulled us away from the office. "Come on, I'll show you how everything works."

And she did. Kate showed me the process of scanning books to borrow and return. She showed me every feature of the computer and once she had finished, she showed me where each book aisle was. She taught me an acronym to remember their place in the library, which I found helpful.

I didn't learn everything by heart immediately, but Kate assured me I'd learn over the next few days. I didn't doubt that was true.

My schedules were to be at the library four times a week. It would have been three but I made a specific request to do one more day, at least until I was okay with money. Kate understood.

She and I began to talk while we did our own individual tasks. I scanned books and she was set up an automatic email for people who had overdue books.

"My ex-husband hated to read." She smiled, surprisingly happy.

"You don't look as most divorced women look." I looked at her briefly, making sure that what I said, hadn't pushed any boundaries.

"You mean I don't look sad?" She laughed and her shoulders moved with her. "Oh, Emma, I am far from sad. I'm happy that he's gone."

"May I ask what happened?" Again, I waited to see her expression.

"He wasn't who I thought he was." Her smile faded slightly. "He hurt me and I couldn't stay in that relationship any longer, so we divorced. We have two kids together, but I have full custody of both of them."

"How old are they?" I scanned another book and placed it on the cart, following the process exactly how Kate taught me.

Her smile returned brighter than it was before.

"Jack, my oldest, is twelve. My youngest, Edward, is six."

"They sound so sweet. What's it like having two boys?"

"They keep you on your toes, that's for sure."

"I can imagine..." I smile, scanning the last book.

"What about you? Do you want to have kids in the future?"

"I would love to, but they aren't in my plans just yet. I have to meet the right person first."

"You haven't found him yet?"

I didn't know what to say.

"I don't think I have, no."

"Well... Elijah seems interested in you. Have you given that a go?" She smirked.

"Elijah is just a friend, and I doubt he thinks of me that way. He's been really kind to me, which I'm not sure I deserve."

"He's a little stuck up sometimes, so he's no angel, but he has a good heart."

"Hey, Emma. How are you going?" Elijah came around the corner accompanied by a man with ash brown hair and pale skin. I guessed this was Patrick.

"I'm good. Kate showed me everything already and I've just finished scanning these books." I point to them.

"Great! I'm glad you're getting the hang of things so fast."

"Has anyone seen Arthur?" The ash brown-haired boy spoke.

"Not since he went to the bathroom," Kate replied.

"Should we look for him?" Elijah asked.

"He's probably shopping online for weird things again while he sits on the toilet, so no, I am not going to look for him. I don't need that image in my head."

"What?" I snorted loudly.

Elijah was about to say something when my phone rang.

I unzipped my bag and looked at the screen. I didn't recognize the number, but I read the message and just... stared at it. 

'We need to talk. Please.

-Aiden'