Chapter 36

"So, how has it been living the dream as a married couple?" Remus asked, readjusting himself in his seat.

James and Lily intertwined their fingers. "I wouldn't want to do it with anyone else," James smiled at her.

Sirius stroked his chin. "Pity you didn't get to go on a honeymoon,"

James sighed and grinned at his wife. "Life's a honeymoon with my darling Lily,"

Scrunching up her nose at him, Lily gave him a kiss on the cheek. "Damn romantic. But we have other priorities now - our boy Harry is worth more than any honeymoon,"

"Surely you'd want to go away for a bit, though," Remus said. "Maybe after he's a little older and doesn't need to be breastfed and constantly looked after by his parents,"

Lily and James looked at each other.

"Only if you'd be willing to babysit," Lily joked.

"We'd be more than willing to babysit," Remus said earnestly, turning to Sirius. "Wouldn't we, Sirius?"

"Wouldn't we? What?" Sirius sat up straight, looking from Remus to the married couple and back. "Um?"

Lily waved her hand. "Don't worry, forget it. It was just a joke,"

"No, you deserve a honeymoon," Remus pressed. "Sirius and I would babysit for however long you need,"

"I mean, yeah, we would," Sirius nodded. "Whatever you guys need, we're here,"

James and Lily looked at each other again, but this time there was some hope in their eyes.

"What if we miss a milestone in his life?" James said in a small voice. "What if something happens to him while we're gone and we can't get back in time? What if-"

"James," Remus interrupted. "Eventually you're going to need a break. Do you trust me and Sirius?"

"Yes,"

"Great. So don't be afraid of taking a holiday at some point, okay?"

"Okay. You're right,"

Remus grinned. "I often am,"

--

"Are you guys gonna start working again?" Sirius asked, munching on a carrot stick some time later.

Lily and James exchanged eye contact.

"Actually," Lily started, putting her wine glass down. "I've been offered a job through a professor at university,"

"Really?" Remus asked, his eyebrows raising. "That's great!"

Lily looked down. "I don't know. It's overseas,"

"Oh." Blinking, Remus sat back in the couch. "I see. Well... what's the job?"

"It's to do with research at a few different sites - sociology work as well as hospitality. Professor Slughorn says that... well he says that the UK Government is looking to send people over as representatives, and he thinks I'll do a fitting job," she smiled as she spoke, though she tried not to.

"It sounds like an amazing opportunity," Remus said. "Where's the job stationed?"

Lily was silent for a few seconds before saying quietly, "Australia,"

"AUSTRALIA?!" Sirius stood up, holding out his arms. "You're moving to Australia?!"

"No, no, no, Sirius," Lily said quickly as James hushed Sirius, glaring. "It's- it's a stupid idea, I'm not going to leave my family for a job. We've got plenty of money as it is for what we need thanks to the Potters, we hardly need a job,"

"Lily," James said quietly, speaking only to her. "I know how important working is to you,"

Remus and Sirius looked away to give them some privacy.

"James, it's fine," Lily replied in equally hushed tones.

Turning on the couch to face her, James shook his head. "You're a working woman. You love what you study and you love making a difference. If you were to just stay here with me and Harry for the rest of your life with no work to do, you'd get bored. You wouldn't be happy doing that, would you?" James looked serious.

Taking in a deep breath, Lily turned back towards their guest. "We can talk about this later," she said to James.

"So who's up for a round of Go Fish?" Sirius asked, receiving a thump on the arm from Remus.