Chapter 6: The crown

One night Alcid just went to bed. A few moments after she heard a squeaking noise and saw that the window was opened. In the corner of her eye, she saw something move, lifted her hand in the air and said. "I saw you. Whoever you are, you are not going to have a fun time here."

The shadow jumped on her bed and yelled "Booo!" Alcid, startled, screamed and almost fell out of bed. Then she heard a familiar laugh and said. "Kheba! Are you insane? My heart skipped a beat."

A dozen guards entered the room but Alcid told them that everything was all right, that her high school friend just started her and she sent them away. The guards, confused, left Alcid's room.

Alcid hugged Kheba and said. "Look at you. You got your powers! You are a Krampus now."

"Yes, my uncle is still teaching me but look at my horns. Aren't they beautiful?" Kheba asked.

"Yes. And you are not white anymore. You look stunning." Alcid said.

"This year I'll go with my uncle to the mortal world to see what a Krampus does there, but next year I'm going alone. Next year I'll be a real Krampus." Kheba said with pride.

"I'm so happy for you. But don't miss my coronation this year." Alcid said.

"I won't. I promise." Kheba said.

"Oh, no you don't. Show me the fingers, toes and the tale and then promise." Alcid said.

Kheba did as Alcid said and they laughed. Kheba had to go but she sad that she'll come back and visit when she had time.

Alcid spent the next week with Vannal gathering information out of people. They needed to know where Ulrahr was hiding and Vannal's skills came in handy here. They found out that he was in the city and probably had spies in the palace. That was all they needed. They returned to the palace and went to the throne room.

First, they summoned the staff members to the throne room. They told them to wait at the beginning of the room and one by one called them in front of the thrones. They asked each of them if they knew where Ulrahr was. Vannal read them and dismissed those that weren't lying. After about fifty staff members, Vannal signaled Alcid that the staff member in front of her was lying.

"Why are you lying to me?" Alcid asked.

"I'm not lying. I don't know where he is." The staff member said.

"Then what are you lying about?" Alcid asked.

"Nothing, I swear." The staff member said and started to sweat.

Alcid put her thumb on his shoulder, released a small amount of acid. The staff member screamed in pain. She said. "Don't make me repeat myself because I will repeat this too."

"Alright. He pays me to give him information about you. We always meat at the small square near the fountain with demons eating a mortal." The staff member said.

"When does he expect new information?" Alcid asked.

"Tomorrow." The staff member said.

"Good, you will guide us there and act like nothing is happening. If you so much as twitch the wrong way or say something to him Ill dissolve all your bones with my acid. Do you understand?" Alcid said and the staff member nodded.

The next day Alcid and Vannal followed the staff member and saw him talking to Ulrahr. When they were done talking, Alcid and Vannal continued to follow Ulrahr all the way to a house. They looked through the windows and saw him throw his jacket on a chair and sit go in the kitchen. He started to act out, throw things, smash plates and scream angrily. When he calmed down, he sat in a chair at the table with his head in his palms. Alcid and Vannal snuck into his house, Vannal grabbed his hands and threw him on the floor, still holding his hands. Alcid took some rope and they tied his hands and feet.

Alcid put her hand over his mouth and said. "You know what I can do with my hands. If you scream it will be the last sound you will ever make. We have some questions for you and with each question, you don't answer you lose a finger. Every time you lie, you lose a toe. Do you understand?"

Ulrahr looked at her full of rage but nodded. Alcid removed her hand off his mouth, sat in front of him and said. "Were you at the palace when my parents were killed?"

"No." Ulrahr said.

"He's telling the truth." Vannal said.

"Did you kill my parents and try to kill me to become a king." Alcid asked.

Ulrahr looked at a calm face and said. "No, I did not kill your parents."

"He's telling the truth." Vannal said.

"Yeah, he is. The mortal eating demon killed my parents. So let's rephrase the question. Did you come up with a plan to kill my parents and me and put it in motion to become a king?" Alcid asked.

Ulrahr looked at her with hatred in his eyes and said. "No."

"He's lying." Vannal said.

"Ok. One toe less it is." Alcid said and dropped a few drops of acid on one of Ulrahr's toes. Ulrahr screamed in pain as his toe dissolved.

"Alright. I made a plan to kill you and your family but they took you away and my plan failed." Ulrahr said through his teeth.

"Do you plan to kill me now?" Alcid asked.

Ulrahr looked at her angrily but didn't say anything.

"Do you really hate your fingers that much?" Alcid asked.

Ulrahr leaned forward, looked into her eyes and said. "I dream of it every day." Then he spat in her face.

"Vannal, I think we are done here. Ulrahr I'm sorry you're so obsessed with being a king. It's nothing special. I liked my life more when I was just a simple farm girl. I hope that in your next life you get what you want." Alcid said, put her hand on his head and let acid run down his body until there was nothing left of him.

When the renovation of the palace was completed and the palace shone in its new glory Alcid decided that it was time for the crowning ceremony. She scheduled the date and invited the most important demons, but she also left the palace doors open to anyone who wanted to come. The day before the ceremony Alcid took Vannal to the roof of the palace. It was the best spot to look at the red moon. She loved to spend time here.

"Why did you bring me here?" Vannal asked.

"To give you something." Alcid responded. Alcid liked Vannal. He sometimes acted like a fool but most of the time he was serious and composed. The thing she liked most about him was that he was smart and very perceptive, He had black four horns, two on each side of his head, coming from his temples and going to the back of his head. He had black fur all over his body with intricate white pattern starting from the corner of his eyes, down the side of his face to his shoulders, arms and torso. He also had short hair that made him look like a mad scientist sometimes.

"What?" Vannal asked.

"You're smart. Figure it out." Alcid said looking at him with a smile.

"A push off the roof?" Vannal asked.

Alcid laughed and said. "No. I'm not goanna kill you. I want to give you this." Alcid took out a golden ring decorated with royal symbols.

"Why are you giving me this? This is a king's ring?" Vannal asked.

"Because I like you, I admire you, you're funny, smart, cute and I don't want the throne next to me to be empty." Alcid said.

"You're asking me to marry you and be the king?" Vannal asked and Alcid kissed him.

"Yes I am. So what do you say?" Alcid said.

"Yes." Vannal said.

On the day of the crowning ceremony, both thrones were occupied and there were two paper scrolls hanging over the thrones under the royal scroll.