Chapter Eleven | Second Encounters

I was currently trying to figure out how to work my leg brace. My nurse was helping me walk with it, making me sit down every few seconds so I didn't exhaust myself. Alice was watching with an anxious expression, scolding me everytime I winced. And my mom was dabbing her eyes, blubbering as if I was a two-year-old learning to take her first steps rather than a mass shooting survivor.

However, I stopped in my tracks, turning towards the television and hushing my mother when I heard my name. "Can you turn the volume up?" I asked, eyes widening at the news headline that was playing before me.

Alice sighed but reached for the remote, turning up the television as the newscaster began to speak.

"...the gunman was armed and attempted to shoot into a mob of fans. The young woman, Mia Fuller, alerted the crowd seconds before the first shot. She jumped in front of 25-year-old rockstar, Harry Styles; ultimately saving him from numerous bullets. The gunman was tackled by a few of the rockstar's bodyguards and quickly disarmed. There were no fatalities. Harry Styles has yet to release a comment..."

I frowned at the selfie of my face being displayed. "Out of all the pictures that could have been shown, you chose that one?" I asked, turning my gaze to Alice. "You told me that they only asked for my name!"

She put her hands up in defense. "It's not my fault! I wasn't in the right mental space at the moment, Mia."

It had been three days since I saw Harry so I didn't expect for him to walk through the door in that moment.

But he did.

It wasn't that I hadn't expected to see him again. The first day I woke up, he seemed like he genuinely wanted to make sure that I had a speedy recovery. I also accepted his offer to attend another concert of his, so of course I expected to see him in the future.

I just never thought it would be so soon.

My heart stopped at the sight of him in the doorway, nearly making me pee my pants on sight.

"Oh shit!" I breathed, jaw falling slack. "It's you again."

I didn't mean for it to come across as offensive. I was just...shocked.

His laughed quietly, face tinting into a bright crimson and warm eyes flickering over me. He shifted his weight, "I hope I didn't interrupt anything."

"No, you came just in time," I gestured down to my right leg nervously. "It's quite an upgrade, isn't it?"

The last time I saw Harry I was groggy, sore and bed-bound. My right leg was wrapped in bandages, gauze, littered with ugly bruises and hairy. Now, it looked semi-decent; cleanly shaven and situated in a brace. I didn't mind having body hair but my leg was starting to feel unbearably itchy. On top of that, the bandages were becoming so attached to my hair that it felt like I was being unwillingly signed up for a dry waxing appointment every time my nurse had to change my dressings.

In my opinion, I felt far more presentable than before.

"Uh," Harry grinned, covering up a laugh. A few awkward seconds passed before he murmured, "...sure?" He glanced at me with uncertainty displayed across his features.

I blushed. What is wrong with me?

"Alice is taking me home today."

𝑬𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝑺𝒊𝒏𝒄𝒆 𝑵𝒆𝒘 𝒀𝒐𝒓𝒌 {𝑯.𝑺}On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara