Episode 1: All BaD MEn

Start from the beginning

the glass door to our office banged loudly as marcus dane walked through them. the doors never banged that loudly by themselves. "stop being a jackass, mathew, why must you always bother the poor girl?" another voice chimed in.

mr. hill, our boss. the hedge fund manger. forty seven year old man. i liked him, he acknowledged me and spoke to me. he said i reminded him of his daughter. he was a good man. he was rare.

marcus made it to the table and sat in the seat next to mine, their were plenty of empty seats, we still have thirty minutes till nine am. people were still coming.

"what happened with the investment into LL portions?" marcus asked mathew. "uh well-i sold the shares," he said. "correction, lora had to make the sale because you chose to invest into a failing company, she saved your pathetic irresponsible self. your not worthy enough to be here, you bought your way into this firm and now you can't handle it," marcus spit out, voice laced with venom.

"enough!" mr. hill spoke.

i kept my gaze at my lap, to afraid to make eye contact with the man who defended me so passionately. i told you, im

shy.

but marcus was not. he might be the exact opposite of me. in the way he was treated, not in how he acted. he also didn't speak many words. but in no means was he shy, his silence was different than my own. i was shy because i was afraid, afraid of what people thought of me, how they perceived me, if they liked me. he was silent because he hated his coworkers. he didn't respect the men he worked alongside with. i could tell by the way he frowned the topic of conversations. how he dissed and insulted them. how he protected me from there blatant misogyny or racism. he was silent because he didn't care to get to know anyone. the only person he spoke to was mr. hill. sometimes they would lock themselves in a private office and talk for hours.

he was obviously mr. hills favorite. that also drove a wedge him and the others. our boss liked him best.

marcus was thirty three. calm, stoic, void of all identifiable emotion. i didn't know much about him, but i did know we lived in neighboring apartment buildings. during the winter sometimes he would give me a ride home.

and even though it seemed like we interacted, we didn't. he rarely spoke to me. only ever commands. 'pass me the papers' 'go fax this' 'get in the car'

i listened to him. "how come you don't run around for me like you do for marcus?" mathew once tried. it was like catching a deer in headlights. me carrying all of marcus' filed and organized paper work back into the cupboards and putting them away. "what's it gonna take for you to be my personal assistant? at least ill pay you unlike marcus" he proposed. silence fell on the room, people were working sometimes mathew forgot that. and when his joke doesn't land he digs deeper and makes it worse.

"seriously though, if you were my assistant i would make you wear a maid outfit," he inquired. my knees wobbled getting ready for a painful statement. "lora would make a perfect assistant, you see how well she does for marcus? imagine if she worked for all of us" another coworker, dice clemmons joked. he was a good friend of mathews. half italian on his mothers side. also grew up filthy rich.

"lora earned more than you last quarter dice, maybe you should become the office assistant," mr. hill spoke. not lifting his eyes from his paperwork. the glass door had swung open. marcus had come back from the bathroom and silence fell over their lips.

"the files are a-all put away," i said. "okay, sit down," he said not acknowledging me. i quickly filled my seat next to him. "get back to work," he said. and i did.

lincoln chuckled. the harvard alum. "well shit, i can't believe im gonna say it but mathews right. why hire an office assistant when lora's already doing it for free. tell me, do you listen to all his commands or are some things off limits?" he said.

"what did you say?" a menacing tone cracked through the air. "relax patrick bateman, its a joke," lincoln said. "the jokes gonna be when i smash your head in," he retaliates. a chorus of woah's erupt, "okay, enough. marcus i need to speak with you," mr. hill said.

their talk had ended up being almost two hours long. that day was months ago.

nothing much had changed since then. except i had gotten a trainer.

-

Author note

Ik everythings in lowercase i thought it would be cool but its not so i tried to fix it then i got lazy so. The next chapter comes out tomorrow enjoy!