Chapter Six

I try to focus on the rain, attempting to avoid staring at the shirtless man ruffling his wet hair as the rain poured down on him

I try to focus on the rain, attempting to avoid staring at the shirtless man ruffling his wet hair as the rain poured down on him. It was hard, considering the three big scars on his back. His back muscles flex as he raises his arms and it pulls me out of my trance. I look down at my hands, examining the dirt under my fingernails. I sniffle and my stomach growls.

"God," I groan, my head tilting back and hitting the wall I was sitting against. I can't help but close my eyes. Behind my eyelids is a bloody face grinning at me, reaching out for me with bloody fingers. I shake my head and open my eyes just in time to watch him walk over to me. He groans as he plops down across from me, still shirtless.

I refuse to look at him and instead I stare at the rain, wishing somebody took notice of my absence and reported me missing. I can't think straight, I'm starving and I can feel my insides eating me.

"It's unusually quiet," He speaks up for the first time in a while. I look at him, confused. He taps his temple with his finger and it makes sense then.

"What do they tell you?" I ask. He sighs, chest rising up and down. I look away from the scars on his chest and to his eyes, praying he didn't notice. He's looking out at the rain anyway.

"It feels like my only purpose here is to hurt people. Anybody I see, I feel this urge to wrap my hands around their throat." He speaks so calmly about it it sends a shiver down my spine.

"What about me?" I quietly ask, afraid to hear the answer. He looks at me for what feels like eternity. I squirm under the intense gaze as I can't meet his eyes.

"Nothing."

I look back at him in confusion.

"You hear nothing?"

"Yes."

Is that a good thing? I sigh and look away, ending the conversation there. My stomach growls again.

"Hungry?" He asks. I glare at him. Guy has the absolute nerve to say that. It's his fault I'm here, it's because of him I'm not in the comfort of my home.

"Are you not?" I question him through gritted teeth. The corner of his lip lifts up and he smirks at me. If I could scoff right then and there.

"I don't feel hungry."

I don't have the energy to even question him. I can't ignore the sleep wanting to take over my body and shut me down.

"You are tired. Go to sleep." He murmurs, not once taking his eyes away from me.

"I don't trust you," I whisper, half asleep. I slump against the floor, using my arm as a pillow.

"As you should." Is that last thing I hear before it's lights out.

+

I wake up gasping in fear. I sit up and look around me. We're far away from the end of the tunnel and there is a tiny fire lit in front of us. I catch the sight of his body slumped against the wall, eyes focused on the flames. I stare in confusion, quickly remembering where I was.

I try not to bother talking to him as I move closer to the fire, shivering from the cold stone beneath me. I cup my hands around my mouth and blow to warm them up. I gasp at the flash followed by the sound of loud thunder. I notice movement in the corner of my eye. His lifts his gaze from the flame, seemingly in a long trance. He looks around before his eyes rest on me.

I close mine, feeling the pain in my stomach and head worsen. I hear movement and quickly open my eyes. In front of my eyes and in his hand is a piece of chicken.

"Where did you get that?" I ask, looking up at him.

"Caught, killed and roasted it while you were sleeping."

My mouth waters at the smell of it and I can't find it in myself to reject the offering. I grab it and start digging my teeth in. My stomach growls a happy growl as I munch on the chicken. Once I finish, I am hit with the overwhelming urge to drink water.

He pulls out a silver flask and gestures for me to drink it.

"Also got water while you were asleep."

I drink it all and wipe my mouth. I lean back with a big sigh. It's quiet for a while and I choose to stay silent. The crackling of fire is the only noise made. After minutes of staring into the fire, I look up at him. I notice his eyes are clenched and he's gripping his hair with his hand again.

"What's wrong?" I ask him, afraid of startling him. He shakes his head and opens his eyes to glance to my right.

"They won't shut up," He speaks, jaw clenching. I stare into the darkness with him. I scoot further away. "They are curious about you."

"What... who?"

"Shit," He suddenly curses, standing up. I stand up with him and inch closer to hide behind him. A hand from across the fire catches my attention. It's not even a hand. It's a familiar dark mist crawling out of the shadows. I gasp in horror as I back away.

"What is that?" I whisper in a panicked voice, not able to take my eyes off of it. The hand moves to the flames flickering on the ground.

"It lives here with me," He spoke. I look up at him and he's staring at it with an emotionless stone-cold face. "Taunts me. It wants me to stay with it."

My face is full of horror and fear. I can't even begin to process the black misty body stepping into the light for my eyes to see. It's taller than us, head bigger than it's slim body.

"What is it doing?" I ask, cautiously, eyeing its long arm reaching out to the fire.

"I don't know."

The mist stands still, almost as if it were staring at us.

"I don't know if it wants to hurt us." He speaks, not moving an inch as I back away from it. It's like a nightmare that I can't get out of. Like the darkness is alive and all of my terrifying dreams as a child were brought to life in front of my eyes.

___________________________
Author's Note:

Next chapter will take us away from the original storyline.

The delay of uploading this chapter was brought to you by my overwhelming load of school work and a research paper that will eventually be the death of me.

So I apologize if there are mistakes and whatnot, my brain is fried with educational knowledge at the moment.