Chapter Two

A hand wrapped around my neck, fingers digging in as I gasped for air

A hand wrapped around my neck, fingers digging in as I gasped for air. I tried to call out for help but my throat tightened. I couldn't breath, the hand was too tight.

"How did you find this place? Hm?" His breath was heavy in my ear. I reached up to claw the hand away from my neck but the grip was too strong. "They tell you about this? About me?" The grip finally loosened enough so that I could breathe and speak.

"I don't know what you're talking about. Please... please let me go," I begged. A chuckle was the only response I got before both hands let go of my waist and neck.

"Go ahead, run. You'll be seeing me very soon." As soon as I heard the deep sinister laugh I started running toward the tunnel's exit. I could barely see where I was going but the laughter was still echoing in my mind as I ran as fast as I could. I made it out alive and in one piece.

I observed my surroundings as I hunched over, palms on my knees trying to catch my breath. Kate, Jessica and Francis were nowhere in sight. "Guys?" I call out to the silent trees. No response. They left me with a murderer. I start running quickly after the realization hits. At this moment, my flashlight decides to finally turn on again without even messing with it.

I shine the flashlight behind me as I run, praying that whatever touched me was not following me. A very sudden flash of lightening lights up the sky and a drizzle of rain starts to come down. I quicken my pace as I am caught in the rain. I start to feel the burning sensation in my legs as I keep running. I make it back to my house without anymore danger.

I pull out the house key and my hands are so shaky that I fidget with the lock for nearly five minutes before finally getting the key in. I give a quick glance behind me before shutting the door and locking it. I lean against the door with a huge sigh of relief, gathering the courage to move. Once I do, I check the living room for my parents.

"Mom?" I call out, entering the kitchen once I see an empty living room. "Dad?" It's silent, except for the heavy rain hitting the window and the loud thunder. I quickly pull out my phone but it's wet and not at all waterproof. I silently curse, slapping the phone with my hand but it won't turn on. All of the sudden the lights flicker and everything shuts off following the sound of thunder.

It's eerily silent as I grab the flashlight off the counter and flick it on. I listen for footsteps or voices before I shine it at the fridge where a yellow post-it-note had caught my eye earlier, and I walk up to it.

Gone out with our friends! Won't be back until tomorrow morning. Thunderstorm tonight so be careful! There should be leftovers in the fridge.

Love you sweetie,
Mom & Dad

I sigh and take the note from the fridge, reading it before crumpling it up and throwing it away. I head to my room, desperate to get out of these wet clothes and wash away the memory of whatever the hell just happened to me. I walk into my bathroom with the flashlight and as soon as I look in the mirror my heart stops. I notice the bloody looking handprint around my neck and I can barely breathe at the sight of it. I grab a towel and I try to scrape off the dry blood before I give up. Half of it is still there.