01

It was just yesterday when I was back home in New Orleans and within the blink of an eye, I'm starting from scratch. New Neighborhood. New house. New school. New Everything.

"Hakeem get up I'm going to be late for my new job if you don't hurry up " she yelled from her room

"I'm not sleeping " I yelled back

" who you yelling at "

I said nothing and let the silence answer for me. I had on my red hoodie, some denim jeans, and my red chucks. The car ride to the school was filled with awkward silence.  We arrived at the school and before I got out of the car she began to make a speech.

" Hakeem listen I know you didn't wanna move but just make the best out of it ... I handled all the registration online so just go the office and tell them your name"

"yes mother''

She drives off but then reverses the car '' don't forget your cousin Skylar goes here too."

I give her a thumbs up. I haven't talked to Skylar since we were about 10. That was seven years ago.  I walk through the front doors and into the office. It smelled like cinnamon and apples.

"good morning I'm new''

"and I'm old'' the lady responded in laughter

"what's your name son''

''Hakeem Louis "

She puts on her glasses and presses a couple of buttons then she hands me a sheet of paper that says schedule on it. A light-skinned girl walks in the office

"hey ms. desire " the girl said while smiling

"I know that's not pretty blossom all late for class.''

She smiles "I woke up late but I'm here now

"and that's all that matter"

She continued with "do me a favor and show this boy his first period"

We walked through the hallways and the school was so enormous. The cafeteria was so big like something of a movie.

"Oh, by the way, I'm Blossom what's your name"

"Hakeem," I said Nervously

"Cool so by the look of your schedule we take first and third period together that way I could watch out for you" She playfully bumped into me.

We walked into the class and all taking cease. My palms started to sweat. Everybody was looking at me. I started to feel self-conscious. Blossom came to the rescue and started to speak.

"He's new and I'm late ''

"All fine, We just picked new seats you two can sit at group 4 in the back"

"class welcome Hakeem''

A dark-skinned girl from group four yelled ''Hey Hakeeeeemm"

I blushed not because I liked her but because she made me feel welcomed.

"Now that's just too loud and common," Blossom said as she took her seat next to the girl.

"Hi my name is Kendria and this is Derrick "

"Wassup yall I'm Hakeem"

**

Just as I start to feel comfortable around them the bell rings for the next class period.

"yall I'm about to be lost''

They all start to laugh.

"None of us have the second period with you but take the stairs to the third floor then boom it'll be on the left " derrick said