Karma's a b*tch

Stephenie walked up to her uncle's house and knocked on the door, silently cursing Skulduggery for making her do this.

Her cousin Crystal opened the door and when she saw Stephenie, she gave her a distasteful look.

"What do you want?" she asked.

Stephenie opened her mouth to answer but closed it when she was interrupted.

"Why did I even bother asking? You're probably here to boast about how you stole all the fortune and royalties from us," scoffed Crystal.

Stephenie smiled a smile that made no effort to reach those dark eyes. " Firstly, no. I am not here to boast. Secondly, I did not steal anything. It was Gordon's will that gave the royalties and fortune, nothing else."

"You acted all sweet and lovable when he was around. You probably planned this all along so you could take away what is rightfully ours!" said Crystal, glaring.

"Would it be too much for you to believe that I just may be Sweet and Lovable? And how are the royalties rightfully yours? Last I checked, It was the will of the dead that decides who gets what of the deceased." said Stephenie calmly. She almost looked bored.

"You are not sweet and lovable! You are a thief!" said Crystal fuming.

"Of course," said Stephenie sarcastically.

"Don't patronise me!" yelled Crystal.

"Wouldn't dream of it."

Crystal calmed down. "I'll ask again, what do you want?" she snarled. "If you are not here to make fun of us, what are you here for?".

"Well I was here to make small talk. You know, catching up on my favourite cousin," She smiled the winked. "Don't tell carol."

"But now? Now I think I want to use the washroom, If that is okay with you?" asked Stephenie.

Crystal looked mildly disgusted. "Yeah, sure. Whatever."

Crystal let her in and she walked over to their bathroom. Conveniently, that is where she kept a few of her jewelries (I don't know whether other people do it, but my mom kept a few of her accessories in the bathroom. To be fair, we had a fairly big bathroom).

Among those Jewelries was the brooch. 

She grabbed it and flushed the toilet to make it seem like she... well, used the toilet before making a phone call, washing her hands and heading out.

Once outside, she found Skulduggery and walked over to him

"This what you wanted?" asked Stephenie, showing him the brooch.

"It is," answered Skulduggery taking it from her before turning around and walking away.

Stephenie frowned. "Wait! Where are you going?"

Skulduggery stopped and turned. "To my car, where else?"

"But I thought you said I was coming with you." 

Skulduggery shrugged. "Yeah, I lied," he said before walking away.

Stephenie would've been furious if she hadn't seen this coming so she did her best to try and compress her smile. She saw his him cross his fingers behind his back on the reflection of a car window when she asked him if he promised.

"You wanna play dirty? Fine, I'll play dirty," she mumbled before she slowly, casually, followed him back to his car.

Before she arrived at his car, she put on her best distressed face ever before jogging over to the 2 cops standing over Skulduggery while Skulduggery was down on the ground with his gloved hands cuffed behind him. He didn't lash out at the cops as there were civilians around.

"This the guy, ma'am?" asked one of the officers.

Stephenie nodded. "Yes. This man forced me to go into my aunt's house and steal a valuable family artefact and give it to him or else he'd kill me. He has a gun on him!" she said, her voice shaking.

One of the police went to comfort her as the other went to check him for weapons. Soon enough they found the gun and were shoving him into their car before handing the brooch over to her. "Thank you." she said to the policemen and they nodded. "My pleasure, ma'am".

She watched as they drove away with Skulduggery before turning around and headed home, grinning.

What could she say? Karma's a b*tch.