How to protect yourself in a Home Invasion

The movie Val is talking about is 'You're Next'

Stephenie went back inside the mansion and tried to make it look like the doors weren't blasted off. She sat on the couch and tried not to freak out.

She then took out her phone and had a mental debate whether or not she should call her mum or the cops. She decided against it as she realized that people will most probably think she is crazy or get the wrong idea. She would also be revealing magic to them and she was supposed to keep it a secret.

She then began to doubt what she saw was real but she dismissed those thoughts. What she saw was real. If they weren't, how was she alive?

She decided she should probably defend herself and began to watch youtube videos on how one should protect themselves from a home invasion but most of it wasn't helpful as most of them said to call the cops or someone you knew.

Stephenie began to think of her own ways to defend herself and remembered the movie she watched once. There the girl took floorboards off and hammered nails through them and placed them under the broken window so when the home invaders came in through the window they stepped on them and were injured. 

She decided to do the same and after some time managed to get a floorboard out and hammered nails through them while trying not to feel stupid. When that was done she placed the peice of wood under the broken window.

She then took a butcher knife from the kitchen to defend herself in case the attacker showed up.

She was about to put wires around the door but thought twice in case her mother chose to come in through the door.

Everything set, she decided to hide under the bed in one of the many rooms in the mansion while keeping her phone close. She might end up sounding like a maniac when she explains everything but at least she'd be alive to do it. Besides, she doesn't necessarily have to be truthful about what happened.

An hour later, it was revealed that all her efforts were for nothing as her mother arrived at Gordon's house to pick her up. She didn't know whether to be disappointed or relived.

"Good morning." her mother said but then she saw the look on Stephenie's face and asked. "Is everything okay? How was it?"

" It was boring." she grumbled and her mother chuckled as they drove away.