Cold And Heartless

(Short A/N:
So, I reread all the chapters as to try and remember what I planned and gladly, I still remember well enough to at least provide you guys with a new chapter. Sorry for the long wait. )

It had long since turned cold outside as red leaves were falling from the trees in the garden.
Shuichi stood by one of those trees, staring at the sky, his world already having been crushed so many times.

He had required some informations about Kokichi and had also visited him multiple times at this point... Yet the more Shuichi visited, the more Kokichi acted...
Cold.

Kokichi had started to talk less, his childish behavior has turned into a cold and sometimes sadistic act... Not only that, but he was also starting to eat less, resulting in him being sent to the hospital...
Shuichi knew that that was part of his plan... Yet... Kokichi couldn't escape from the police and he wouldn't... So why would he attempt to go to the hospital with seemingly no reason?

Today, Shuichi would try to visit him...
He could only hope to find out whats wrong with the thief...

On his way to the hospital, his mind kept wondering off to the note he was given...
It talked about a fire, most likely set by a criminal since the survivors were called victims...
Only one victim was found and put into a hospital...

Now... There was indeed a fire that burned down an abandoned house just a while ago, but it was abandoned, so why would they find someone there? Plus, there were no victims found and taken to the hospital.
Anyhow, it probably was related to that.

When he arrived, he used his Detective badge as an excuse to go see him and question him...
But once he entered, he stood in shock once more.
Not only did Kokichi seem to be in quite a bit of pain, unable to lie in a good position while cuffed to the bed, but he also had high fever.

Shuichi barely got close to him when Kokichi already glared at him, his stare cold as ice... Yet he had a slight smile on his lips that twiched as if he wanted to giggle like usually.
But he didn't.

Instead, his gaze slowly traveled from Shuichi to down on his own body.
Shuichi guessed it meant that he didn't like the thick blanket literally thrown on him and went to go touch it when he saw what Kokichi was really staring at...

Without saying a word, Kokichi just revealed a huge part of the puzzle...

Bandages.

If he was just in the hospital for sickness and his lack of wanting to eat...
If the officers nor inmates never hurt him enough to cause wounds that needed bandages...

Why was his entire body covered by them?

Shuichi didn't even have to take them off to know...

Burn marks.

----------

A few days after that, Shuichi decided to go to the burned down house...
No wonder why there were no recorded accounts of a victim...
There were no hospital records that showed Kokichi was in treatment!

After having gained confidence though, he did look at Kokichis wounds... They were definitely done around the time the abandoned house burned down, so Kokichi was definitely the victim the note talked about...
Also, his wounds were already treated or were already in treatment... But why would the hospital not have records for taking in Kokichi?

So... The victim that was left in the fire was Kokichi...
Recovering from his wounds would cause him to be in the hospital for quite a while, yet the hospital has no records of his case...
Shuichi, in favor of Kokichis case, looked at the time of when the robberies and murders took place...
And it was during the time Kokichi was supposed to be recovering from his wounds...

So, the part of the note that said the victim was accused of participating in a crime and pulling the strings while actually unable to...
Was also true...

Now... The main questions are:
1. Who were the other victims?
2. Who is the real culprit of both burning down the house and the robbery?
3. Why would the hospital not record Kokichis case and claim that he was never there?

He would have to find that out soon...
Kokichis last trial is next month...
If he doesn't succeed in finding out the truth and make Kokichi innocent...
Kokichi may possibly result to other ways to get revenge on the culprit or show his innocence...

(Edit:
Sorry this chapter was so short.
I may write another one today or tomorrow. )