Sick? Pt 3

AN: happy (late) new year 😘

The ambulance came and Justin stayed unconscious with drool still on his face. I gave them my phone so Pattie could give them Justin's information. We got to the hospital and they took Justin to a room. "Can I go with him? He has autism and I don't want him left with people he doesn't know," I begged. "Usually we have patient's friends and family wait out here, but I think we can make an exception." I thanked him and we walked to Justin's room together (a room for younger kids obviously since his files listed for it).

They checked his vitals and drew some blood. I sat with a sleeping Justin and waited patiently for the results. "Justin has a cold virus, but after looking at his files we noticed this has happened before." He said. "You mean the seizure?" He nodded. "This happened because of a high fever. Nothing to worry about. We're keeping him overnight for observation and giving him an IV and anti-seizure medication." I nodded and the doctor left to look at other patients.

I heard a whimper. I grabbed Justin's hand. He woke up and started crying probably out of pain and fear. "It's okay bubby. You had a seizure." He coughed and sighed. He still looked tired. "Are you okay?" He shook his head and coughed again.

"What hurts bub?" I asked rubbing his knuckles. "My head and tummy hurt." He cried curling up. I kissed his forehead. "Are you hungry? Maybe that's why your tummy hurts." He nodded. "Okay, can you wait until the doctor comes back?" He nodded calming slightly.

He looked around the room sniffling. I was watching him. "Look." I looked where Justin was pointing. "What is that?" I asked. "Giraffe!" Justin said excitedly. "Do you like them?" He nodded and yawned.

"Do you want water?" He shook his head and started looking around again. I continued rubbing his hands and knuckles to keep him relaxed. "What doing?" He asked looking at our hands. "I'm giving you a hand massage." He nodded. "Does it feel good?" He nodded again. "Feel good."

The doctor came in and gave Justin a new stuffed animal. Justin hugged it tightly. "Any problems with the IV?" I shook my head. "He doesn't seem to mind it," I said slightly shocked. "Hurt?" Justin's doctor asked pointing to the IV. Justin stared blankly. "Hurt?" He echoed back. "Does it hurt?" This time he shook his head. "Okay, that's good. Any questions?" The doctor asked.

"Can you please bring him some food. He said he's hungry." The doctor nodded. "Of course I can. Do you want chicken nuggets?" Justin nodded. "Want chicken nuggets." The doctor nodded and left again.

Justin sighed. "Go home now?" I shook my head sadly. "You have to stay overnight babe. Just so the doctors can make sure you're okay then we can go home and see our puppy." He sighed which triggered a cough.

I called my mom to ask if she could watch Jacks overnight. She agreed and then I called Pattie. "Justin." He looked up and shakily grabbed my phone. "Hi Mommy," he said sounding sad. "I love you more," he cracked a smile. He sat up and looked around the room. "Mommy there's a lelaphant..... elephant." I laughed slightly. "I miss you." Justin gave me my phone and I told Pattie what happened.

"Thank you for telling me. I'll be back tomorrow." Tomorrow?! That soon? "Okay, Bubby will be excited to see you again." We hung up after that. The doctor came in with fries and dinosaur nuggets. Justin gasped excitedly. He ate his food and mumbled to himself. He pushed the rest of his food over to me. "All done?" He nodded. "I want you to have some," he said slowly trying to pronounce every syllable correctly. There was only half a handful of fries and 3 chicken nuggets, but I ate them anyway wanting Justin to be happy.

Justin looked around observing his room more. "Do you want to watch a movie?" I said noticing the TV. He shook his head. "Can I have phone?" He asked. "Do you want to watch a movie or play a game?" I said reaching in my pocket. "I 'ont know."

I unlocked my phone and picked a random live hockey match on YouTube. I gave Justin my phone and he smiled. "Which team do you like?" I asked slightly interrupting. "Maple Leaves." I nodded. I didn't understand hockey but Justin liked it. He laid on his bed and blinked lazily.

"Do you want a blanket or something?" I asked. Justin shook his head and looked at me. "Snuggle?" The bed was medium size but I still wasn't sure if it would fit both of us. He gave me puppy eyes. "Okay baby." I laid on the bed and Justin laid on my chest then continued to watch the match. I ran my fingers through his hair. He hummed softly relaxing more.

"Bubby?" I asked in a whisper to not scare him. He hummed. "Do you need anything from home?" He got off my chest and sat up to think about it. "Everything." I pouted. "I know you're homesick baby, but we'll all be back tomorrow. Even mommy." He perked up a bit. "Mommy?" I nodded. "Will you be okay while I get your stuff?" He nodded but looked worried. "I'll leave my phone here for you okay? You can watch anything you want okay?" He nodded and seemed calm. "I'll be right back please behave for nurses okay?" He was distracted by his hockey game.

I hurried to my car and slightly speed to the apartment. I grabbed our things and quickly got back. Justin seemed sad. I hugged him. "What's wrong bubby?" He sniffled. "I missed you," he sobbed. "I was just getting our things baby. I'm not leaving." I wiped his tears. "No more crying okay?" He nodded and sniffled.

"Where's the stuffed animal the doctor gave you?" He shrugged and coughed. I looked around the room and found it under the bed. I set it next to him. I got him undressed and he went to the toilet. I made sure to wash his hands and then flushed when he walked out.

He sat on the bed and I grabbed his blanket. "You should sleep bubba." He blinked up at me obviously resisting sleep. I ran my fingers through his hair and his eyes fluttered. I kept doing that until I was sure he was asleep.

I started thinking about everything. He got so sad when I left and it was half an hour at most. Imagine if I got fired or quit. He'd be torn apart and would likely fall into a deep depression. I can't do that to him. I sighed and kissed his warm forehead. He smiled and I sighed. My baby.