Chapter 5: Glossary

こんばんわ~~~~~

Hello, everyone! It's me again with the glossary of chapter 5 :) Once again, thank you all for the reads, comments and votes :) Currently at 5,723 when I'm writing this :3 Hopefully I can get 10k reads by the end of the year :D

頑張りましょう!!!

Onigiri (お握り)

Onigiri is a type of rice ball made with plain rice, lightly salted, and often is wrapped in seaweed, a very popular dish in Japan. Sometimes there may be filings, from more traditional fillings such as sour plum and miso, to more modern fillings like tuna with mayonnaise (Author's note: You have just got to try Japanese mayonnaise, I like it so much, I even eat it plain with bread. I can't get enough of it) Onigiri is not a form of sushi, the more stereotypical image of Japanese cuisine, as sushi uses rice with vinegar, while onigiri uses plain rice. Sometimes, red rice or even fried rice is used! Onigiri is a very popular dish for picnics, as well as packed lunches for work or school. It is also very convenient, due to the simplicity. Onigiri has been present in Japan throughout the centuries. In the 11th century, during the Heian Period, the reknowned novelist and court poet, Lady Murasaki mentioned people eating rice balls at picnics. During the later centuries, it is also recorded that samurai brought along onigiri to the battlefield for a quick fix for themselves. Nevertheless, it is said that the origins of onigiri preceeds Lady Murasaki herself, probably in the Nara Period. Nonetheless, this humble dish in itself has withstood the test of time.

Mount. Hakodate

Mount Hakodate(函館山 hakodate-yamais a 334 meter high wooded mountain located at the southern end of the peninsula where most of central Hakodate is located. The night views from the mountain are among the most beautiful in Japan, ranked among the top three together with Nagasaki's Mount Inasa and Kobe's Mount Rokko. The summit is accessible by ropeway, bus as well as car. 

Motomachi

Motomachi is the historic district in Hakodate, located at the base of Mount Hakodate.