Chapter 31: Miss Otemo II (TEASER)

Origami Girl

Chapter 31: Miss Otemo II

"Our village is replete with busybodies.

If those people found out.

What would become of us, I wonder?

Let's go to Kawabata Town.

There are many ripe pumpkins

And heaps of flowers in the fields."

-Otemoyan, Kumamoto Prefecture Folk Song

"Hey, are you sure you're all right?" I asked Nakayama-san as the boy stood over the sink, bending over and washing his face.

"It's fine," he replied gruffly. "I'm fine."

He let out a deep sigh as he stood there in front of the mirror, droplets of water flowing down his cheeks and dripping of his chin. I couldn't tell whether they were tears or merely the cold water from the tap. The boy looked at himself in the mirror, standing straight. When he did that, he was way taller than me. He was taller than most people, so I guess that was why other boys felt intimated by him. That and that edge to his attitude, I guessed they all served as a mechanism for other people to back off. He had his reasons I suppose.

The whites of his eyes were all red, and his hair was ruffled and in a mess. Nakayama-san only stared back at his reflection in the mirror.

"I'm pathetic," he muttered. "Crying like this, Ayano-chan doesn't deserve someone like me."

"Stop saying that," I told him. "You're a wonderful person and Furukawa-chan is willing to look past all your faults. Sure, no one is perfect, but you just have to accept that."

"Right," he muttered, not at all convinced.

I only stood there in silence as the boy washed his face again, rinsing his cheeks again and again, rubbing water in his eyes in a vain effort to rid himself of the redness. He even blew his nose once or twice. We were lucky he decided to go to the bathroom at the top floor, which was rarely used.

"You know," I said to him. "Have you ever thought of seeking professional help?"

"Nah," he replied. "I'm already enough trouble to my mother. And she herself has her own issues. Psychologically I mean."

"What do you mean?" I asked. "I'm sorry if I sound like a busybody."

"She's on medication," he told me. "Life's so unfair for her. I mean –I don't know. She tried to kill herself once, so I've always been worried for her ever since."

"I'm really sorry to hear that," I said, trying to comfort him. "It must be hard."

"Well what do you think?" he responded, that familiar edge returning to his voice.

"Look, I'm not trying to prod you or anything," I said, trying to ease the tension. "I just feel really. . .sympathetic."

"Thanks," he muttered, leaning against the sink. "But it's not like it'll help or anything. But I appreciate the thought."

"Well, if there's anything I could do to help," I said. "Do let me know."

"Like I said," he replied. "I'm more concerned about Ayano-chan. You just take care of her all right?"

"Sure, I'll look out for her," I answered. "But what about you?"

"I can take care of myself just fine," he said.