Chapter 6: Lanterns and Dragons

Origami Girl

Chapter 6: Lanterns and Dragons

"What a lovely place this world would be if only people would feel affection for everyone else, and all the ugliness of the human heart were to vanish - our envy of those better off than ourselves and our scorn for those worse off."

Masuda Sayo, Autobiography of a Geisha

The car slowed down as we approached the junction, before coming to a halt altogether. The weather was perfect for that summer afternoon, it was not too hot, and it was a perfect time to be outside. Perhaps it was because it was already nearing the evening, but that beside the point, I would certainly love to go out in this type of weather. Outside, the few trees along the sidewalk swayed to the breeze. A few stray pigeons were pecking away at bread crumbs on the pavement, ignoring any passer-bys, not allowing any intrusion to interrupt their meal.

I fidgeted in my seat, my purse on my lap. As the car began to move again, I took out my foldable mirror from the depths of my purse, just to fix my look, in case anything was out of place or anything. I looked at my reflection in the mirror, tilting my head slightly to check every angle of my face. I decided to wear my hair like the day I went up Mount Hakodate. In fact, after that event, it was the only hairstyle I could remember donning. It was simple and easy to maintain, besides, Adam-kun also said he liked it and suited me well, so I guess it wouldn't pose any harm if I just continued with that hairstyle, the parting slightly right off the centre, my long locks of hair resting on my shoulders.

I just looked around for any imperfections. My hair was alright, and my minimal make-up didn't look too overbearing.

"There you go again," Akio-kun remarked from the passenger seat beside me, his arms folded, the sleeves of his dark blue cotton yukata dangling from his elbows.

I could only giggle in response as he sighed. Surely he must have noticed how I had been looking at my mirror for since we left the house.

The car passed a few more intersections and rows of upper middle class condominiums in Showabashi, before finally reaching a parking lot near to Hakodate station. We parked there, since it was the nearest available public parking lot to the whole stretch where the festival was going to be held. Our parents told us to wait outside the car while they settled the parking fees and things like that, so we obliged to their instruction. I stepped out of the car, my wooden clogs clacking as they beat onto the asphalt ground. It wasn't hot, and so was just the right weather for any outdoor activities.

Akio-kun was leaning against the boot of the car, and seeing that my parents might be taking some time to settle the parking coupons issue, I had no other choice but to wait. My attention soon moved on to my surroundings. A few groups of people, some in casual and others in traditional attire were walking about, all headed south-west, down the street, in the direction of the port. Hakodate Station stood nearby, the sole major train station on the southern tip of the island. It was a huge, enclosed air-conditioned building, and people seemed to move in and out of the automatic glass doors. The occasional ship horn from the harbour blared loudly, echoing across the bay. Suddenly, I felt the phone in my purse vibrate, and I took it out. I received a message, and I read it.

"Hey, are you there yet?" Adam-kun messaged me.

At that moment, I heard the car door slam and turned around. The sight of my parents stepping out of the car was enough to chuck my phone back in my purse in a hurry, without even giving Adam-kun a proper reply. Why I did that I don't know, but it just came naturally.

My mother apparently saw what I did and gave me a look, her eyebrows bent into a frown. She also wore a yukata, although hers was simpler and less garish then my white-and-pink cherry-blossom print outfit. She also let her hair down to her shoulders, emitting a sort of mature aura.