Chapter:2 The Dream

Caspian arrived at his house and set the books down on a table.

"I guess it's just me now." He sighed and looked out the window. "Ugh, I have to work tomorrow."

Caspian put his scrolls and spare parchment away and started to get ready for bed. Laying down he waited for sleep to carry him away. He stared up at his ceiling, just waiting for what seemed like hours.

This isn't working. He thought.

Caspian stood up and waved the cloth covering the glass window in the ceiling away. He grabbed his notebook and his pencil then climbed the ladder on the back wall and pushed the trap door open, climbing out onto the roof. He sat down and opened the book. Looking up at the stars now fully out he began to chart and sketch out the different placements of the stars and constellations. Even though he lived a 10-minute walk from town and that was kind of annoying he loved it because of the quiet and the lack of light he could see the beauty of the night sky.

A mix of purples, blues, and pinks swirled across the sky. Stars litter the void, painting pictures of all different kinds. Shooting stars chasing others across the sky. Caspian put down his supplies and laid back, looking up at the stars.

I need to go to sleep now or tomorrow is going to be a bitch. He thought but continued to stare up at the sky.

Finally, after what seemed like hours he got up, collected his stuff, and went back into his house. Laying down in his bed sleep claimed him until morning at last. It wasn't a peaceful sleep as he had hoped. Instead, the night terrors had come back like always.

In his dream he woke up to darkness then the town came into view. Something was off, everything was quiet except for the distant screams. Caspian shot out of his house and ran as fast as he could to the town. Not long after he left, he ran into town and looked around in horror. The town was on fire and the people were being carted off to who knows where. Families were being torn apart, mothers separated from children and fathers carted off in chains to work. Children were screaming. Caspian shook himself out of his shock and ran to the nearest family struggling with the soldiers separating them. He shot fire from his hands at them, knocking them over. 

"Quick, run!" He yelled to the family.

They ran off into the forest. More soldiers saw what Caspian had done and rushed to help their fellow men and take him down. Caspian knocked over more soldiers with wind and fire but more and more kept coming. Soon he was surrounded, soldiers tried to apprehend him and take him to the ground, but he fought back harder. Fire and rocks flew around him, hitting several of the men. Caspian picked up one of the swords that a fallen soldier had dropped and readied himself. The men were advancing closer now and Caspian slashed at them. Despite not having much training with swords, he knocked a few soldiers down and cut a few others. They slashed back at him. He avoided some but the strikes came faster and began to overpower him. One sword caught the side of his arm as it came down, slicing a cut into him.

He cried out in pain clutching his arm and stumbling slightly. More hits landed. Some of the men he knocked down stood up without their swords and started throwing punches at him. Bruised and bloodied he knelt to the ground and in a panic his magic surged through him and blew all of the soldiers away. He looked up and a man stood there. He wasn't normal though. He wasn't a soldier, but he wasn't a normal man either. The man had long coal-black hair; his skin as red as the fire around him. The man grabbed Caspian by the throat and lifted him to look him in the eyes. Caspian clawed at the man's hand.

"You can't stop this it's already too late." The man said.

He threw Caspian hard through the air. He hit a tree with a loud thunk. Caspian saw the man walk away, his vision slowly fading until it all went black.