Chapter 6: Unknown and Without Name

"I think that whatever happened to the daughter has to do with the king. This doesn't make sense otherwise." Cas said looking over Corvus's shoulder at the books. "I think we should see if anyone else can remember anything because this is just creepy." 

Corvus barely heard him over his thoughts. Was he going crazy? He should be able to remember if there was someone else on the throne. If not, he should at least be able to remember his life before the past few years other than being alone. How far back could he remember? Everything seems clear up to... four years ago. This is crazy why can't he remember anything clearly before the king came to power?

"Hey, Corvus, you ok man? You're freaking me out a little." He snapped out of his thoughts and looked at Cas. "Sorry," He ran a hand over his face. "I'm just freaked out because I can't remember anything before the king came to power."

"What do you mean?"

"Everything is fuzzy the further back I try to remember. I don't remember much before the king was coronated, not even my family. I just remember being alone. Ezzah's name sounds familiar, but I can't think of why."

"Give me one second I might be able to help," Cas said and walked to his bedside table. He opened the drawer and grabbed a leather-bound book decorated with different sigils. Flipping through the book, he walked back to the desk, finally landing on the page he was looking for. "There we go, Memories, this should be able to help." On the page was a list of ingredients for a spell along with the instructions. "I can try to help you remember with this spell if you'd like. I don't know how well it will work, it's a little advanced for me right now but I can try."

"Sure, if you think it will work, I'll give it a shot."

Cas read off the list of ingredients to himself as he walked around gathering everything. Ok, chalk, candles, tower crystals I think that's all.  He thought to himself. Corvus watched as Cas draw with chalk on the floor. There was a large square intersecting with a circle, at each corner of the square sat white candles, and at each cardinal direction was a circle with the alchemical symbol of earth, fire, water, and air with a tower-like crystal sat atop. Lines connected everything to two medium circles in the middle.

"Ok go ahead and sit in one of the inner circles I'll be in the other. If this works, I'll be somewhat in your head for a little bit, are you still ok with this?" Cas asked as Corvus sat in the northern circle. "I think so. I don't know what you'll find in there though."

Cas sat in the southern circle and began chanting the spell. The chalk began to glow and Corvus looked at him, seeing him strain to keep the spell going as the light flickered. With one final chant, the chalk glowed brighter then just as quickly went out, leaving an exhausted Caspian breathing heavily. "It didn't work. I'm sorry Corvus." He said disappointed.

"It's ok I appreciate the effort though. We can try again later on when you're more prepared for it." Corvus said with a reassuring smile. "Thanks. Hard way it is I guess."

He stood up and offered Corvus a hand. They researched as much as they could with the materials they had. The sun made its journey across the sky as the boys scowered every lead they had on Ezzah and her family. The room had been made a disorganized mess to anyone who would have passed by papers with hastily scribbled information and notes were strewn about on a section of the floor. Cas knelt in front of them reorganizing the papers in his hand. Corvus took a break from what he was reading and look up at him. He hadn't given himself much time before to get a good look at the man in front of him. Cas was a little shorter than him, with light red hair barely reaching his shoulders. He wore dark-colored pants with a brown button-up tucked in. Cas stood up and ditched his dark green cardigan, rolling up his sleeves. Corvus laughed quietly when Caspian took his glasses off and ran a hand through his hair, sighing. "What?" He asked confused. "Nothing, you just look like a disappointed professor right now," Corvus responded trying but failing to contain his laughter. Cas put his hand to his chest, feigning offense. "Rich coming from the asshole who looks like he's one second away from joining a mosh pit." Corvus held his stare before they both began laughing again. "Anyway," Cas said regaining his composure. "I was going to say we made a little progress, but I think this is as much as we are going to make with the stuff we have right now."