5. Which one came first, the lizard or the egg?

This was the thirteenth island I've visited. Was 13 suppose to be the number of bad luck? What was the good luck number then, 8? Well, as I remember my eighth island wasn't very lucky at all. It was full of hot springs that erupted unpredictably. I saw three men burn alive in the boiling hot water. Me and Bobbie had to steal a boat and sail away. Didn't enjoy the hot springs at all.

We approached the island number 13 very carefully, circling around it before getting closer. We didn't want to get hit by arrows or catapult-shot stones. But there were no signs of humans, mutants, or human-like aliens. The island looked beautiful with trees, bushes, and sandy beaches. There must be fresh water somewhere.

We rowed the boat ashore and sent a scout patrol of me, Bobbie, and Grog ashore first. Others stayed on the boat, ready to flee quickly in case something went wrong.

The island was about half a mile by length and lush with all kind of plants I've never seen before. Are those palm trees? Or maybe they are elms, beats me. There was still no signs of people as we made our way inside. That could be either good thing or a bad thing. This time it was the latter.

The first lizard was small. I killed it easily with my sword. No reason to get worried. Not yet.

The next one was bigger, about the size of those Komodo Dragons, who were the biggest lizards of the old world. It took a quick look at the small dead one, perhaps its baby, and attacked us. I stepped aside and let Grog crush it with his big spiky bat.

Then we started to hear more noises from the bushes, not exactly roars, more like sniffles. The whole heard of giant lizard started to come towards us. If I thought the previous reptile was big, I was wrong. THAT was just a baby, these are at least three time the size of the Komodo Dragons. There were plenty of them, maybe hundreds. And they had big, sharp teeth. And they were spotted like leopards. And they were coming to get us.

We ran away as fast as we could. Even Grog with his big bat couldn't do anything. We had to get to the boat and out to the sea. I lost the others while running and reached the beach with no boat in sight. Then I heard Bobbie calling me and start running towards the voice, across the rocky beach. Suddenly I stumbled and fell down hard. CRACKKK! Oh no, I cracked my skull! And my brains are falling out! Oooh! I'm dying!

After a moment of disorientation I got up and noticed my skull was still intact. I've stumbled into a lizard's nest and broken an egg. The whole beach was full of nests. I had to get away and fast, because the owners were coming and they were not happy.

But first, eggs... mmmmm!

I got into the boat just in the nick of time, before the heard rushed into the water. The Old Ones rowed away as fast as they could. Could these bastards swim? We didn't want to find out. After we got further and felt safe, it was time for my big surprise.

"Look what I got!" I shouted proudly and showed them the big, beautiful eggs I took with me inside my pullover. For once it was time for me to bask in the glory of my bravery. For once I was the warrior, the saviour!

"Way to go, Max", said Geronimo, one of the Old Ones and our main chef. "Let me get my frying pan."

"What if there's a lizard embryo inside it", commented Bobbie, trying to piss on my parade.

"In that case I'll make you grilled baby lizard skewers! It's healthy protein one way or another", answered Geronimo. What a guy.

I went to sleep on a full stomach, proud and happy. But couldn't help the feeling someone – or something – was following us. Maybe it was nothing.