Day One: Part Two

Lower Common Room: Hour 5

With the ship stuck in a queue, the diagnostics for the day would be extremely reduced and it seemed as good an opportunity as any to delay the work a bit. Dash passed by Guugel in the lower common room, who was engrossed in a tablet.

Guugel looked up at him. You're looking better.

"Caffeine helps."

Back in the bunk, he changed into some workout clothes. Light pants, light shirt, and body tape for his hands, fingers, and ankles. He figured an hour on the sparring bag sounded perfect and he practically had a spring in his step as he made his way back down the hall to the lower common room.

Mara's Bunk: Hour 5

Mara had already wandered around the ship to see if anything needed her attention, which, of course, nothing did. The idleness in such closed quarters made her antsy. By now she was back in her bunk to change into her workout clothes. Before leaving, she went to her terminal and made one more attempt to sort through her messages, but found nothing new. She sighed as she shut down her terminal and left the room, the lights turning off as she exited. Within minutes, she was in the lower common room, pummeling the training bag. Nearby, Guugel was sitting in a small chair, doing whatever it was that he did.

She could never quite figure the little guy out. He was loyal to a fault and had saved her butt in many dangerous spots, but there was always the nagging problem of not really being able to talk to the guy. At best he typed out messages or simply gestured. She didn't distrust him, but there was a lot to be said for actual conversation. He understood everyone else, reacted in all the right ways, but it seemed like he operated on a different wavelength, one that only he had access to. With the exception of Dash, of course. Those two clicked for some reason and it drove her nuts.

Mara's rapid-fire jabs pummeled the bag. Her mind felt frayed, but each speedy strike soothed her nerves. The more she attacked the bag, the more it felt like the tension was leaving her body.

She had been at the bag for only a few minutes when she noticed Dash walk in. Maybe he'd spar with her? She hadn't had any real combat practice in ages. Mara put on her friendliest voice.

Lower Common Room: Hour 6

"Hey, good morning!" Mara continued to punch at the bag. "Wanna spar?"

Dash remained silent. She noticed him glare at Guugel, as they communicated in their strange way.

Yes, Dash, "wanna spar" with your ex?

Dash glared at Guugel who was now sitting, quite contently, on the seat facing the sparring bag, tablet cast aside for potentially greater entertainment. Dash grimaced and thought of a succinct, albeit profanity-laden response.

Guugel's eye grew wide. How rude.

Dash focused his attention back to her. His hair was a mess, his eyes were baggy, and he seemed pensive. Mara continued punching at the bag and her blows were aggressive, like always. She always seemed frustrated by something, and frankly, this morning, that was something he didn't need to be dealing with.

"Actually, I just wanted to use the bag on my own" he replied. His voice seemed to drift and he avoided her glance, staring towards the floor. "I'll just wait until you're done."

"Oh, c'mon," she said. "The bag is no substitute for an actual partner. It's not like you've really practiced in a while." She stopped hitting the bag and turned to him. As she approached him, he couldn't help but notice her slight sashay. She stopped just short of him and leaned in. "Unless you're worried about getting your ass kicked again."