The Loneliest Genius

by Jaula Wallers

Across from me, at this very moment, sits a titan

Across from me, at this very moment, sits a titan. Not only of industry and celebrity, but his frame is massive, but as far as the aesthetics go, this is not a bad thing. He is powerful, and his body is a physical manifestation of this simple fact. He is dressed fairly casually in a grey shirt, a blue vest, and his grey slacks and boots. Not a tie to be found anywhere, unlike most business-types I deal with. When you are as powerful as Drakar Vadis, you can dress however you please.

I was contacted by his personal assistant, Ms. Elizabeth Mayden on behalf of Mr. Vadis, as he felt the time was right for another interview considering the rumors around a mysterious new project. She explained that I would be getting an exclusive one and one interview within his office and that I should have my answer as to whether or not I would be interested in being a part of this by the end of the week. I had sent my reply as soon as I had read the message.

And now, here I was in his office, sitting across from someone who I have known of my entire life, and have only spoken to a handful of times.

J: Mr. Vadis, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

D: I appreciate getting a chance to speak with you. This is our first interview. That surprises me.

J: Of course we've known each other for a long time. I recall seeing you at the first Federation and Imperial Economics Summit, way back in '42. You haven't aged a day since!

D: Well, I certainly feel older, Jaula. It always pleased me that you did so well for yourself in journalism. You're quite in-demand.

J: Thank you, Mr. Vadis.

D: Drakar, please.

J: Drakar, thank you.

With the introductions finished, I dive into my notes. We begin with his origins. Drakar Vadis is well, well known. In a galaxy with dozens of unique societies, he represents a completely unknown, and almost alien factor. He is the only known member of his species in the charted galaxy, something that may be impossible for anyone but him to truly understand. Regardless, I decide we must begin here.

J: You are the only known member of your race in existence, but you have gone on to become a vital contributor to our various cultures and economies. Does this individuality have any bearings toward your business and research?

D: The Silver Spiral Galaxy is the only home I've ever known. I want to defend her interests and survival with whatever gifts I can offer. Fortunately for me, it seems I have a certain business-savvy, and I apply it toward any opportunities I can find.

J: Such as the ExoScan project?

D: Exactly.

J: Critics within your own board at DraCo have argued that the ExoScan project is a waste of resources, and at most is an attempt to find your origins. How do you respond to claims like this?