25| from greenwood to mirkwood

Start from the beginning

I reached down and playfully scratched the top of his head in response.

As Aragorn talked to Théoden and Éowyn rushed to help Gimli, I noticed Legolas, who was observing our surroundings, his eyes alert as usual. His blonde hair swayed in the light afternoon breeze, glittering gold in the afternoon sunlight as he peacefully rode amongst the people.

He seemed to stand out from the rest of the people around him, radiating nobility and grace as he sat tall, poised and elegant atop his horse. He met my gaze with a small smile, and I felt a flutter of warmth blossoming in my stomach.

I wasn't really sure why.

My mind then flashed back to what happened at Edoras with Grima, and how different he seemed at that moment. His voice had turned so hard, his eyes cold like ice. It was a side to him that I had never seen before. His cold demeanor towards the man was in such stark contrast to his usual, rather neutral personality.

I guided Aldion towards him.

"I wanted to ask something," I said as I rode beside him.

"Go ahead," the blonde elf nodded.

I exhaled, thinking of the best way to word my question.

"Back at Edoras, when Grima grabbed my hands..." I shuddered at the thought, but continued, "...why...why did you step in? I could have handled the situation perfectly, and you know that."

The blonde elf was silent for a moment, before turning to me with a small smile.

"I know. I promise, I was not doubting your capabilities. I just...I overheard what he said to you and..."

He rubbed the back of his neck, breaking eye contact and glancing down.

"...and I...felt disgusted by just how low he would stoop to gain an upper hand."

For some strange reason I could not place my finger on, I felt a twinge of disappointment at his answer. But I chose to let it go.

"So do you think he deserved to die?" I continued to ask, "Was Aragorn right to have let him go?"

Legolas thought for a moment, before glancing at me.

"I do not think I have the wisdom nor foresight to make that judgment and act upon it."

His cerulean eyes met mine. "However, if you were to kill him at that moment, I don't think that I would have stopped you."

I chuckled.

"I would not have either. He has most likely crawled back to his master, Saruman, and has probably spilled all Rohan's secrets at this point."

The blonde-haired elf nodded in agreement.

"Indeed, his story is not yet complete, and will likely play a role in how our's will end."

I nodded my head, Aldion's steady footfalls beneath me as we rode side by side.

"If I am to be honest," I let out a lengthy exhale, "I am... worried."

"I do not think there is a single person here who is not," Legolas replied as-a-matter-of-factly.

I chewed on my bottom lip.

"There's so much I have yet to see." I sighed. "I want to see the world. I want to see the seas, the hidden kingdoms beneath the earth and within the forests."

I thought back to the map of Middle Earth that hung in my chambers all the way back in Rivendell. There were so many locations that I had yet to see, kingdoms I had yet to visit, waters I had yet to swim through, mountains I had yet to traverse.